There are more than just closet monsters. When it's dark, you never know what's out there (or could be out there) before it's too late. Here is a list of the things I worry will happen to me if I am not completely under the covers:

1. If my foot somehow manages to escape from under the blankets, before it is even exposed to the darkness for a moment I am already scared to death that something will grab it and drag me off to the nightmare world under the floor. The second I feel the cool air against my skin, I can feel the rough hands closing over my ankle, no matter how hard I try to ignore it.

2. If I open my eyes and can't even see my hand in front of my face, I just know there is something waiting for me to close my eyes before attacking. So I pull the covers over my head and wait, afraid to so much as blink.

3. I can't look towards the foot of my bed without becoming frightened enough to scream. Maybe it's because of all those Scary Stories I used to read. There was one in particular that stuck in my mind for some reason. It was about a guy laying in his bed, and he looks down towards his feet and sees a little goblin/animal type thing staring back at him. Whenever I start thinking about this, all I can do is close my eyes and hope it doesn't kill me. Usually I have to turn the light on to make sure nothing is really there, but just working up the courage to pull my arm out from under the covers and reach through the emptiness towards a lamp takes an hour.

This is normal, right? Everyone is afraid of the dark at one point or another. I can't help but wish I would get over it as quickly as most people seem to. Perhaps I am doomed to a life full of nightmares and sleepless nights. Sigh.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.