On July 25, 2001, Hector Barreto was confirmed by the U.S. Senate for the post of Administrator for the U.S. Small Business Administration.1 Mr. Barreto is in charge of helping out small and financial business with development programs. The SBA has a portfolio of over $45 billion in loans making it the largest backer of small business.

When Mr. Barretto was growing he worked in his family resturaunt and helped his father start up an export/import business along with a construction company. Mr. Barreto graduated from Rockhurst University with a degree in business administration and after completing his degree he started working for Miller Brewing Company. He moved up in the company and left as the South Texas Area Manager.

In 1986, Barreto moved to California and started his own business, Barreto Insurance and Financial Services. THis bussiness grew as the population of Southern California grew and he later added a business dealing with retirement plans to the company.

Barreto has served as the chairman of the Latin Business Association in Los Angeles where he helped to double the membership and increas the amount of funds available for Latin entrepreneurs. Before becoming the SBA administrator, Barretto was the vice chairman of the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

1. I had never heard of the SBA before, just was looking at www.whitehouse.gov and he was on the front page and I wanted to learn who he was.
Information taken for this node from www.sba.gov and www.whitehouse.gov. On going part of trying to node members of the Bush administration. Chances are I won't get to node everyone.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.