Colloquial name for a gun. Also used to identify the warming functions of the A/C.

A heat emitting unit is a device which transmits heat to the interior of a room or space. The two types of heat emitting units used in steam heating systems are radiators and convectors. Simply defined, a radiator is a heat emitting unit which transmits heat from a direct heating surface principally by means of radiation. A convector, on the other hand, may be defined as a heat emitting unit which transmits heat from a heating surface principally by means of convection. The heating surface of a convector is usually of the extended finned tube construction.

An arm-worn shield used in Europe from the 12th to the 18th centuries, though it had it's greatest popularity in the early-to-mid Middle Ages. It is regarded as the "classic" medieval shield and the shield most commonly thought of in conjunction with soldiers of that time in that part of the world.

The basic design of the heater is a shield is either banded wood, in the earlier days, or steel in the latter. It would properly be the width of the soldiers body at the shoulders and the height would be usually be near the length of the shoulders to the waist.

If metal, a slight lateral curve was common to allow better deflection of blows. on the reverse side there would be a rigid handle to be grasped by the hand and a leather or metal loop which the forearm would be through. A proper traditional heater would have the top upper corners slightly raised in peaks, though a flat top was also common. However the most distinctive point of the heater is the tapered bottom, where the top upper corners taper inward as the decent until they both meet in a point at the bottom center of the shield.

The heater design is a direct descendant of the Norman Kite Shield (which is itself from the Door Shield), and there exists also a Norman "Long Heater", where the height of the heater is is extended to go from the shoulders to below the knee.

Virtually all coats of arms and heraldic emblems of any antiquity with a shield on them use the heater design.

Heat"er (?), n.

1.

One who, or that which, heats.

2.

Any contrivance or implement, as a furnace, stove, or other heated body or vessel, etc., used to impart heat to something, or to contain something to be heated.

Feed heater. See under Feed.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.