my sister is heartless. she is the meanest most horrible person i have ever known. i thought this before, but now i have uncontestable proof.

she wanted to go to the hallowe'en dance at her school, but she needed a costume. everyone dresses up for these things. it was her first high-school dance. she only knew that everyone dressed up because i had told her. my mother works full time, and commutes for 3 hours every day. she works hard, and is tired. but she made my sister a costume. it was a beautiful sprite. magical and fairy-like, gorgeous, but not whorish.

she stayed up to all hours of the night making this thing for her. it cost $60. for the fabric, and the stuff for the wings...

the dance was tonight. i went to pick her up. i saw my sister there wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a pair of crumpled wings. she looked happy. she hadn't worn the costume that my mother had put so much effort and love and sweat into, she'd only worn the wings. and she'd destroyed the wings. and she was happy. i can't believe i'm related to someone capable of that.

Heart"less, a.

1.

Without a heart.

You have left me heartess; mine is in your bosom. J. Webster.

2.

Destitute of courage; spiritless; despodent.

Heartless they fought, and quitted soon their ground. Dryden.

Heartless and melancholy. W. Irwing.

3.

Destitute of feeling or affection; unsympathetic; cruel.

"The heartless parasites."

Byron.

-- Heart"less*ly, adv. -- Heart"less*ness, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.