Hawkman has made his way back to the DCU. He reappeared in JSA #23... this is the original Carter Hall the golden age Hawkman, not the silver age Thangarian Katar Hol. He is now a full time member of the JSA and the star of an ongoing series.

The original golden age Hawkman was a millionaire playboy named Carter Hall, who, having acquired an Egyptian knife made out of 9th Metal, later renamed Nth Metal, suddenly realized that he was the reincarnation of Prince Khufu, an ancient Egyptian crusader for good who had been murdered, pledging before he died that he and his murderer would meet again in another lifetime and that he would avenge himself. Khufu had had a girlfriend named Shiera, and, sure enough, Shiera Sanders came into Carter's life soon after (later becoming Hawkgirl).

He could fly, with his wings, which were made out of the gravity defying 9th Metal. He was skilled with ancient weapons. He also had the uncanny ability to communicate with birds. (This later ability makes more sense when the "Hawkman as avatar" notion is introduced; see below.) He was also knowledgeable about archeology.

He was a founding member of the JSA and the All-Star Squadron.

Name: Carter Hall. Husband of Shiera Sanders Hall (Hawkgirl).
Father of Hector Sanders Hall (Silver Scarab/Sandman III).
Godfather of Norda of Feithera (Northwind).
Grandfather of Daniel Hall.

First Appearance (Golden Age): Flash Comics #1 (January 1940)

Pre-Crisis Fate: Active until Crisis On Infinite Earths
Post-Crisis Fate: Active until Zero Hour; combined with Hawkgirl and Thanagarian Katar Hol (Hawkman III) into a unified Hawkman

Hawkman appeared in every single issue of Flash Comics until it ended its run with issue 104, February 1949. Although his solo comic strip ended, he would continue to be seen for two more years as the chairman of the JSA in All-Star Comics. As noted above, he was the only character to appear in every single issue of All-Star Comics and the only character to appear in every single Golden Age adventure of the Justice Society. Upon the JSA's final appearance in All-Star Comics #57, February-March 1951, the Golden Age Hawkman would not be seen until the JSA's appearance in Flash #137, June 1963. _________________________________________

The Silver Age Hawkman (pre-Crisis variety) was Katar Hol from the planet Thanagar. He, along with his wife, Shayera Thal (Shayera Thal Hol?), fought crime side by side as Hawkman and Hawkgirl (later, Hawkwoman). Shayera's helmet was rather different than the Golden Age Hawkgirl's, but otherwise the two duos dressed almost exactly alike. After arriving on Earth, Katar and Shayera took on secret identities of Carter and Shiera Hall.

First Appearance (Silver Age): The Flash vol. 1 #137 (July 1963)

He was a member of the Justice League of America and the (non-continuity) Super-Friends. thanks to Timeshredder for the 9th -Nth Metal details...




Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.