This was one of my mom's specialities - even got the recipe published. It's haunted because every time I try and muck with the recipe - add a little something here or there - it doesn't come out. Dad attributes this to mom's ghost - it happens to him, too. Hopefully I won't get in trouble for printing this, but if you don't here from me.... this recipe needs to be made the night before or early in the day you serve it - it needs to chill for a while.

Crust:
3 c. chocolate wafer crumbs
.5 c. melted unsalted butter

Filling:
1 lb. semisweet chocolate
2 eggs, whole (more eggs later)
2 c. whipping cream
6 Tbs. powdered sugar
4 egg whites, room temp.
4 egg yolks

Combine crumbs and butter. Press on bottom and sides of a 10" springform pan to form crust. Chill in freezer for at least 30 minutes to set.

Soften choclate in the top of a double boiler. Cool to lukewarm. Add whole eggs and mix well. Add yolks and mix until well blended. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Whip cream and powdered sugar in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Stir a small amount of both the egg whites and the cream into the chocolate to lighten. Gently fold in remaining whites and cream until mixed. Turn mousse into the crust and chill 6 hours to overnight. Top entire pie with whipped cream, if you like, and garish with fresh mint or berries. This is very rich. Forget dieting.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.