Hare (?), v. t. [Cf. Harry, Harass.]

To excite; to tease, or worry; to harry.

[Obs.]

Locke.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hare, n. [AS. hara; akin to D. haas, G. hase, OHG. haso, Dan. ae Sw. hare, Icel. hri, Skr. aa. .]

1. Zool.

A rodent of the genus Lepus, having long hind legs, a short tail, and a divided upper lip. It is a timid animal, moves swiftly by leaps, and is remarkable for its fecundity.

The species of hares are numerous. The common European hare is Lepustimidus. The northern or varying hare of America (L. Americanus), and the prairie hare (L. campestris), turn white in winter. In America, the various species of hares are commonly called rabbits.

2. Astron.

A small constellation situated south of and under the foot of Orion; Lepus.

Hare and hounds, a game played by men and boys, two, called hares, having a few minutes' start, and scattering bits of paper to indicate their course, being chased by the others, called the hounds, through a wide circuit. -- Hare kangaroo Zool.., a small Australian kangaroo (Lagorchestes Leporoides), resembling the hare in size and color, -- Hare's lettuce Bot., a plant of the genus Sonchus, or sow thistle; -- so called because hares are said to eat it when fainting with heat. Dr. Prior. -- Jumping hare. Zool. See under Jumping. -- Little chief hare, or Crying hare. Zool. See Chief hare. -- Sea hare. Zool. See Aplysia.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.