Following are gestures used in Spain which are not generally used in the United States. It is quite possible that they are used in other places besides Spain, and if you have any information confirming this, please let me know and I´ll add that information to this w/u. Furthermore, if you have any gestures you´d like me to add to this list, please let me know. Cheers.


Message: YOUR HEADLIGHTS ARE ON
Method: Hold one hand at shoulder level directly in front of you, four fingers on top, thumb tucked underneath, as if holding a hand-puppet. Now, quickly move your fingers up and down (as if you´re making the puppet talk), about five pumps. Used most commonly when you are on foot. You have now informed a motorist that his/her headlights are on (during the day), which is, apparently, undesirable. Daytime Running Lights, if they ever become common in Spain, may make this gesture obsolete.

Message: THAT GUY IS IN THE MAFIA
Method: With your right thumb, trace an imaginary line starting at the opening of your ear and ending just before reaching the cleft of your chin. This gesture makes an obvious reference to the movie Scarface, though probably not everybody who uses it knows that. It is recommended that you make this gesture out of sight of the mafioso in question.

Message: I HAVE NO MONEY
Method: With your fingers facing you, make a ´V´ with your index and middle fingers. Now, with one finger on either side of your nose, touch your face starting at the top of your nose, and going down as far as a half-inch (or a few centimeters, if you prefer) above your lips. You have now gently informed your date that (s)he will be paying for your tapas, not you.

Message: I HAVE NOT GOTTEN LAID IN A REALLY LONG TIME
Method: Believe it or not, this gesture, the use of which is limited to hipper, younger Spaniards, is exactly the same as the previous one (i.e., ¨I HAVE NO MONEY¨), but context easily distinguishes the intended meanings. Just be careful if the question is ambiguous -- you may not want to use this V-gesture to decline an invitation to go out for a beer, since it could either mean, ¨Sorry, I can´t go out with you because I don´t have any money,¨ or, ¨Sure, I´d love to have a beer with you . . . and then maybe we could fuck too, eh? I sure am horny after all these weeks of not getting laid.¨

Message: HE´S GAY
Method: With your right thumb, trace an imaginary line that starts at the top of your right cheekbone, and extends toward your upper lip, but only for about the length of your thumb. This gesture is very different from the mafioso one, because the line is much, much shorter. Be sure not to get them confused.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.