Former name of the Norfolk Admirals, American Hockey League team in Norfolk, Virginia (entering via expansion in 2000). Plays home games at Scope. Top farm team of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Before the 2000-01 season, the Hampton Roads Admirals played in the East Coast Hockey League, which they joined in 1989. During this time, they had an intense rivalry with the Richmond Renegades, and a somewhat calmer one with whichever team represented Roanoke (most recently the Roanoke Express). Most of this rivalry was fired by the antics of Hampton Roads coach John Brophy, a former National Hockey League head coach (with the Toronto Maple Leafs) known for temper tantrums leading to such events as attacking opposing fans during road games. Brophy was also known for being a world-class whiner, which further incited road crowds.

Unfortunately for AHL fans who will be denied the opportunity to watch insanity in action, Brophy was not hired by the Blackhawks organization when they took over operation of the team upon their climb to the AHL. So, Admirals clubs of the future will likely be considerably duller, and not treated like spawn of Satan whereever they visit during their away schedule.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.