Strangely, the name "Gyromite" appears nowhere within the game. Rather, the program titles itself "Robot Gyro." Anyway, whatever you call it, this was a quickly-tossed-off U.S. launch game, built to support the NES's R.O.B. add-on. For what it was, Gyromite was surprisingly not-entirely-awful. It usually worked better, however, with a second person (Frank?!) pressing the buttons R.O.B. was supposed to control...

It involved steering a professor through girder-y mazes, defusing bombs.

Further clarifying aderack's statement that pushing the buttons was best done by a second person, I'd like to restate that as, "It usually worked better, however, with a second person (Steve?!) pressing the buttons R.O.B. was supposed to control, until said person became bored with their task of pushing the girders for you, and started their own unstoppable squash-a-thon, declaring jyhad on little guys in lab coats, and generally pissing you off. These guys are also rampant in super mario brothers. Don't let them be player 1, because they'll pause the game on you, like friggin' goons."

My advice here is to get a NES Advantage controller. With this, you can push the girders yourself. Sure, you could do it with a normal controller, but that'd involve some interesting hand positioning, or the dextrous utilization of other body parts. If you have a NES Advantage, and you have feet, you're all set to move all the girders you like.

Lastly, the music in this game was kind of addictive. I like to put the game in my Nintendo, to this day, and just let it play, to hear that incessant bip bop beat.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.