An anime series that is a spin-off of Mobile Suit Gundam. Unlike the original Gundam this one is not very good, but sadly, it is the best anime(in my opinion) shown on American TV. Parts of this series are good. Like the fact that(unlike most anime on Toonami) it almost has a decent plot. A few of the characters are well done, in particular Lady Une, but it's main characters, the Gundam pilots, are just a bunch of unrealisticly emotionly disturbed pretty boys.

I and hopefully most other anime fans hope that the popularity of this series will convince the managers of Cartoon Network to actually show some of the better Gundam series. One can only hope.


I should also mention that this is the first totally uncut anime (if you don't count the intro and end credits, and are watching it during the midnight run) to be shown on US television. I hope this is the start of a trend, and that other series will be handled in a simmilar manner.

Gundam Wing is a self-contained anime series using the same motifs as the traditional Gundam series in its story: Giant robots, space colonies, political ambition, and war. The series is one of the alternate universe series, like G Gundam and Gundam X; its story does not fit in, nor is it meant to fit in, with the regular Gundam series covered in Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam Z, etc. Thus, for American audiences being introduced to the Gundam genre, it would seem more logical to introduce a series that can stand on its own and create a fan base rather than trying to hit or miss with a series from the original Gundam series and possibly destroying the franchise in America.

In Gundam Wing, one can find many pop culture influences not in the original series, among which is the group of 5 individuals, a characteristic seen in other series such as Sailor Moon as well as in Japanese boy bands such as SMAP. Likewise, the personality types are programmed as well, such as the brooding guy - Heero, the talkative guy - Duo, and such.

The dubbed American series uses a new opening sequence and music in comparison with the Japanese original. However, the animations during the closing credit sequences feature the animations from the original Japanese opening, along with a reinterpretation of the music as a guitar rock/orchestra piece.

The Gundam Wing series spawned an OAV,"Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz", and a game for the Super Famicom, "Gundam Wing: Endless Duel".

Gundam Wing currently plays on the Cartoon Network at 5:30 pm on Monday through Friday as part of the Toonami lineup.

More information on all Gundam series can be found at
http://gundam.anime.net/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.