Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding
By Dr. Jack Newman and Teresa Pitman

A book review:

Jack Newman is a Toronto pediatrician. He established the first hospital based breastfeeding clinic in Canada in 1984 at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. He now holds breastfeeding clinics in several hospitals in the Toronto area and is a popular speaker at breastfeeding conferences.

Dr. Newman's attitude is that breastfeeding is important and that formula can be harmful. A favorite saying of Dr. Newman's is "breastfeeding shouldn't be sacrificed on the altar of ignorance". Breastfeeding success is possible for almost all women who want it. Dr. Newman's book helps mothers to figure out how to solve common problems and encourages mothers to get help locally from a reliable source if "book learning" is not enough. He doesn't hesitate to tear down common misconceptions and misinformation that are harmful to breastfeeding even if the errors come from his own profession (medicine).

This is THE book for the determined woman who knows she WILL breastfeed and doesn't mind being labeled a zealot if she pulls out all the stops in solving any and all breastfeeding problems that may occur.

Appropriate for parents and healthcare professionals alike.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.