Chicken breasts white onion Black beans Cous cous Turmeric Salt Black pepper Honey Brown sugar Cumin Garlic powder chipotle Worcestershire sauce Olive oil

Start up the old grill and once it’s reached cooking speed throw on the chicken. Cut the onion into rings, the thickness will depend on personal preference. Cook the “onion rings” on the grill with the chicken. Ideally the rings of onion will be cooked till they’ve almost lost their bitterness. Don’t worry to much about burns on the onion, they will be delicious. When the chicken is almost fully cooked slather it in the glaze.

The glaze is made by first putting the turmeric, chipotle, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and honey together. This should form a rather thick paste. Loosen the paste by adding olive oil till it’s reached a consistency similar to Elmer’s glue but a touch less viscous. The flavor should be somewhat spicy but offset by the sweet. Make sure to not overdo it on the brown sugar as the glaze shouldn’t be too sweet.

Open the can of black beans and drain off the goo that they come in. Put the beans in a pot with just enough water to cover the tops of the beans. Add the cumin, garlic powder, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Put on low medium heat just below simmer. You want to activate the flavors of the spices but not over cook the beans. For the cous cous I used a prepackaged box of pine nut cous cous. Frankly the cous cous needed more pine nuts, and more flavor in general.

One may mix the beans and cous cous together or serve in separate piles alongside each other. The rings of onion should be placed atop the chicken. For variation one may chop the cooked onion up and mix into the cous cous and beans to form a bed for the chicken to sit on. This meal would also be complimented nicely by the addition of some toasted pita bread.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.