The second book of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, it covers the time between Red Mars and Blue Mars. It's a bit more romantic and out there than Red Mars, but it makes for an extremely enjoyable read.

Green Mars is a story of a growing planetary population and the emergence of Mars' political foundations. Characterization and a feel for environs is a common thread throughout this book, as well as the others in the trilogy. One of the best sci-fi series I've ever had the pleasure of reading, and one that I'd highly recommend to those that are fans of more realistic sci-fi and interactions between people.

This book also does a better job with the scientific parts than Red Mars, despite being more "romantic and out there". It is very focused on the terraforming effort, and several important things are going on. I won't mention them, for the sake of those who haven't read it, but I guess I've already given away the fact that the Reds don't have much pull. Other topics of scientific research that Robinson delves into are botany, artificial intelligence, sociology (personal relationships, in particular), and neurobiology.

Also, as Kalie Ma mentions, there is growing political arenas, both on Earth and in the Mars underground. Again, the main argument is about terraforming, though of course the issues of tradition are thrown in as well as any number of others. Typical for politicking.

<timeframe>I think that during the book, the 100th anniversary (in Earth years) of landing on Mars occurs.</timeframe>

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.