You might be thinking to yourself a huge,"WTF" -- but don't worry! These pies will knock you and yours off your asses this holiday season. Your partner will be AMAZED at how unique and wonderful the flavoring is!

So, without further adieu, I present to you the chile pies.. starting with my "family's" own rendition of the chess pie filling standard.


3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter. melted.

Incorporate everything except melted butter, then add the melted butter in afterwards. This is your base, to which you'll add nuts and chile later.

For your pie crust, I've actually had great success with the simple and indestructable recipe lesterjane has provided for us on e2. The two recipes are both 9" pie tin compatible. (Unlike XP and Leopard.)

What? Chile? Oh yeah! So, I personally, being from New Mexico, go for the very best. Hatch. You can find both green chile and red chile grown and packaged in Hatch, New Mexico. Sometimes, you can even find it in your local grocery store, if not just online. Now that you know what chile to use, you need some amounts..

For the green chile pecan pie, you will need to add 1/2 cup green chile and 1 cup of pecans to the above chess pie filling recipe, per 9" pan. It helps if you put a top layer of pecans on this, just like a traditional pecan pie.

For the red chile walnut pie, you will add 1 tablespoon chimayo chile

(WARNING. DO NOT TOUCH EYES, NOSE, HAVE SEX OR GO TO THE BATHROOM WITHOUT WASHING YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY FIRST.)

And 1 cup walnuts.

Bake for one hour at 350 degrees. Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.