Grate (?), a. [L. gratus agreeable, grateful: cf. It. & Sp. grato. See Grace, and cf. Agree.]

Serving to gratify; agreeable.

[Obs.]

Sir T. Herbert.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grate, n. [LL.. grata, fr. L. crates hurdle; or It. grata, of the same origin. Sae Crate, Hurdle.]

1.

A structure or frame containing parallel or crosed bars, with interstices; a kind of latticework, such as is used ia the windows of prisons and cloisters.

"A secret grate of iron bars."

Shak.

2.

A frame or bed, or kind of basket, of iron bars, for holding fuel while burning.

Grate surface Steam, Boiler the area of the surface of the grate upon which the fuel lies in the furnace.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grate, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Grated; p. pr. &. vb. n. Grating.]

To furnish with grates; to protect with a grating or crossbars; as, to grate a window.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grate, v. t. [OF grater to scrape, scratch, F. gratter, LL. gratare, cratare; of German origin; cf. OHG. chrazz&omac;n G. kratzen, D. krassen, Sw. Kratta, and perh. E. scratch.]

1.

To rub roughly or harshly, as one body against another, causing a harsh sound; as, to grate the teeth; to produce (a harsh sound) by rubbing.

On their hinges grate Harsh thunder. Milton.

2.

To reduce to small particles by rubbing with anything rough or indented; as, to grate a nutmeg.

3.

To fret; to irritate; to offend.

News, my good lord Rome . . . grates me. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grate, v. i.

1.

To make a harsh sound by friction.

I had rather hear a brazen canstick turned, Or a dry wheel grate on the exletree. Shak.

2.

To produce the effect of rubbing with a hard rough material; to cause wearing, tearing, or bruising. Hence; To produce exasperation, soreness, or grief; to offend by oppression or importunity.

This grated harder upon the hearts of men. South.

<-- p. 647 this page badly done -- in need of careful proofing -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.