The Graham Cracker is a mythical object, only known from its existence in North American cook books. In the wider world, there are a number of substitutes which can be used, depending on what precise effect is required. Generally speaking the best effect is achieved using a plain biscuit generally known in the British Isles as a Digestive such as a Hob Nob (an Australasian version of this biscuit is the Shredded Wheatmeal). Drier biscuits, such as the SAO or Cream Cracker may also serve, though they don't tend to soak up surrounding moisture very well. For a sharper result, you could even use the classic Ginger Nut.

Here is a recipe for a good basic Graham Cracker Crust.

Graham crackers are crisp, light brown crackers made from coarsely ground wheat flour. They are usually flavored with honey, cinnamon or chocolate and are best eaten with a cold glass of milk. For American children, graham crackers are a part of life; they are both healthy and delicious and are convenient for snacking.

If you've never seen a box of grahams, they usually come with 3 packages of 9 cracker sheets, each perforated for splitting into 4 small crackers. They are low in saturated fat, have no cholesterol and are a great source of calcium.1


The origin of the graham cracker is rather interesting. At the beginning of the cereal revolution, people turned to sanitariums for medical guidance. These sanitariums focused on diet as a means to cure physical and mental illness as well as social vices (such as drinking or masturbation).

Sylvester Graham, who had the good fortune to be both a minister and a farmer, couldn't let this trend pass him by. He began to look for ways to save people from the evils of sexual release, preaching about the virtues of a vegetarian diet and frequent baths. He told anyone who would listen "that all bread should be cooked at home and baked with whole wheat flour." 2 That might not have made him very popular with commercial bakers, but it certainly made him profitable when he introduced a coarse, whole wheat flour known as graham.

Graham breads and crackers caught on and, while we no longer eat them to curb sexual appetite, they have become an integral part of the American diet. Most commonly eaten as a light snack, you can also find graham crackers in many dessert recipes and around a campfire near you.


1 http://www.oreo.com/honeymaid/
2 http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blgraham.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.