This is a rich, creamy sauce that's good with gnocchi, fettucine, and a number of other things--try it on pork chops as it's served at Pasta Pomodoro, for example. You can vary the amount of cheese according to how much you enjoy the taste of blue cheeses such as Gorgonzola.

Ingredients

- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (any milkfat percentage will do)
- 1/2 to 2 cups Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Black pepper to taste (optional), salt if the cheese just doesn't satisfy your sodium cravings

Instructions

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium to low heat. Stir in flour; then stir in milk. When it thickens noticeably, stir in the cheese. Let it simmer on low, stirring occasionally to keep it from burning and help the cheese melt. As with all milk-based dishes on the stove, be careful not to let it begin to stick to the bottom--stir frequently, and turn the heat down if it begins to stick. You can cook this for a varying amount of time; longer is better than shorter. Judge by the thickness of the sauce and the taste to suit yourself.

This is a very strongly flavored sauce (and delicous, and calorie-laden!) so keep that in mind when you put your meal together. Depending on how much sauce you use, this is about 4 (thoroughly coating pasta) to 8 (drizzled on entree) servings.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.