Gonzo Journalism is a writing style pioneered by Hunter S. Thompson. The idea is that the story of an all-out deranged grapple with a situation is a means to truth.

Mr. Thompson implimented the gonzo part of his journalism by consuming obscene amounts of drugs.

I'm more partial to Gonzo Programming, myself.

When discussing Hunter S. Thompson and/or Gonzo Journalism, one must remember not to leave out the likes of Ralph Steadman. He is a political cartoonist originating from the U.K. who has worked with Hunter S. Thompson for decades. His unbelievable artwork can be seen in the movie and book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" for example. His wonderfully humerous and quite bizarre drawing style is the only one that could even begin to compliment the concept of Gonzo Journalism.

Gonzo journalism is, at its core, nothing more or less than hyper-subjectivity.

A gonzo journalist recognizes that the reporter cannot be separated from the story. All reporting that claims to be objective (your local newspaper, the television news, etc.) is farcical.

A story told by a reporter is necessarily filtered through his or her own perception of events, not to mention the dubious accuracy of said reporter's sources. And, ultimately, there are the extra-personal filters a reporter encounters.

Recognizing this reality, and taking what it implies to the extreme, the gonzo journalist reports on the only thing s/he can be sure of: his or her own experience.

Taking large quantities of drugs tends to make your experiences more marketable. It is not, however, a requirement.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.