Like the Gold Liberty Head Dollar, the Gold Indian Head Dollar was designed by James Barton Longacre. This new dollar appeared in 1854.

The stars from the previous design were removed from the obverse, and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" was removed from the reverse, and applied to the new obverse. A new female figure was applied to the obverse, facing left, and wearing a large headdress. The word "LIBERTY" appears on the crown portion. The headdress on the female caused the portrait to resemble that of an American Indian, so the common name for the coin became the gold "Indian Head" dollar.

The reverse of the coin features a redesigned wreath, composed of wheat, corn, tobacco, and cotton. The wreath encircles the denomination, noted as "1 DOLLAR", displayed just above the mint year.

In 1856, just two short years after this design appeared, it was modified. The relief design on the obverse was created a bit too high, and the features of the coin were quickly wearing down in circulation. The portrait on the obverse was redesigned to be larger as well as flatter. "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" was also moved a bit closer to the coin's border.

The modification was a success, and the coin lived until its retirement in 1889.


United States Coinage

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.