When I ate meat, I liked goat and sheep quite a bit, but it was hard to find in mainstream grocery stores here in the big city. If you live in the United States, many international grocery stores carry goat meat so I would suggest calling around.

Smarter people than I don't need to be told this, but it is a good idea to chop everything up and have the spices measured out before you start cooking. That way you can just throw things in the pan as you need to. I usually forget, and I end up burning or scorching my veggies. Don't be like me!

Ingredients:
1 pound, lean goat meat (shoulder is best)
Oil (peanut or canola)
1 sliced onion
3 teaspoons, cumin seeds
1½ teaspoons fenugreek seeds
1 cinnamon stick, approximately 1.5 inches long
8 whole cloves
1 tablespoon, crushed green ginger
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1-3 teasponns, curry powder (to taste)
1 tablespoon, paprika
½ teaspoon, chili powder
2-3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon, cardamon

Cut the meat into small pieces and set aside. Heat plenty of oil in a skillet, enough to cover the bottom. Add the sliced onion and sautee until lightly browned. Add the cumin, fenugreek, cinnamon and cloves. Continue to sautee everything on medium high heat, slowly and gently, until the onions are fully browned. Add the ginger and crushed garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add meat and cook until well browned.

Reduce heat and cook gently for 10 minutes or so. Add curry powder, paprika and chili powder. Stir in tomatoes. Stir in a cup or two of water and sprinkle the cardamon over the top. Lower the heat, cover the skillet, and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours.

This goes great with basmati rice, sweet mango chutney, and other traditional Indian accompaniments.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.