This subcompact Glock pistol was introduced in August of 1994. It is chambered for the 9mmx19 cartridge, most commonly known as 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, or 9mm NATO. The flush fit magazines that these pistols originally came with had a ten round capacity although the newer releases already come with a plus one magazine and grip extension baseplate. Since it was introduced in 1994, all Glock 26 pistols are already Third Generation Glock pistols.

The Glock 26 is a chopped up version of the Glock 19 with most parts in the frame having full drop-in interchangeability with each other. One feature it does not have in common with the larger Glock models is that it does not have a lanyard loop. Being a subcompact pistol, it is meant for concealed carry, either with an inside or outside the waistband holster or pocket holster. The lanyard loop, for the most part, is a feature for service size pistols. The Colt Government model of 1911 for example actually was one of the first semi auto cavalry guns and as it was to be used while riding a horse, it had the lanyard loop to secure it should it fall out while riding.

I have function tested my Glock 26 with most bullet weights of 9mm from 115 gr FMJ to 147 gr Golden Sabres from Remington. It hit point of aim at 20 yards and was particularly accurate with the Golden Sabres. I have not used lead cast bullets as they are a pain to clean, and are not recommended by the Glock shooting community although the jury is still out on the real reason why.

As a concealed carry firearm, the Glock 26 will be a good choice for people who are legally permitted to do so and want a lightweight gun that has a higher amount of firepower as compared to a snub nose .38 Special. Firepower is the amount of energy one can transfer from the launching platform to its target, usually, it has more to do with capacity per reload rather than terminal ballistics or muzzle energy.

With aftermarket selectors like the Fire Select System for Glocks, you can easily convert this baby glock into a Class III personal defense weapon (PDW) with a drop in selector that switches from full auto and semi auto modes of fire. In full auto, this pistol will cycle at a very high rate of fire that is reported to be close to 900 rpm. Just as an aside, I would like to add some real world information comparing full auto fire and semi auto fire. Using a Glock 19 (Glock 9mm that is between the Glock 17 and Glock 26 in size), a competitor in our team did the El Presidente drill once using semi auto and double taps or hammers, and once with full auto fire. The semi auto runs actually got him better scores, the times to finish the course of fire was similar. Full auto fire is for suppression of multiple threats, it is not for quicker elimination of threats.

The people who say that the m1911a1 and the Browning Hi Power are the most pointable pistols in the world are correct, and these same people are usually the same ones that say that Glocks point "high". They are also correct on that point. This tendency to point high, especially when doing a cirillo index (using an IDPA board as your target draw, point, and fire without using the installed sights - somewhat like a "shoot from the hip" drill) can be somewhat alleviated by having a shorter slide and barrel. The Glock 26 has an extremely short slide and barrel for a pistol chambered in 9mmx19. The only pistol that is shorter is the Kahr PM9 although the Kahr is about US$200.00 more exensive and hasn't been as thoroughly tested or accepted as the Glock. The Kahr seems like a great gun to have but the scarcity of parts should something break is what is keeping some people from buying one. Though Glock 26 still points a bit high, the angle of the grip to the slide allows for less perceived recoil and faster recovery for follow up shots. It is quite comfortable to carry and shoot and is comforting to have under the pillow or by the night stand. With a 33 round magazine inserted and select fire capability, this little pistol that could is the least expensive way of getting oneself a firearm that serves as a PDW in true PDW fashion (small, high firepower, fully automatic). Note though that full auto fire capability makes this a Class III device and must be registered as such, at least in the USA.

Here in my glorious nation, the ministry makes no difference between semi auto pistols and full auto pistols and it is for the greater benefit of my personal safety that this pistol rides with me, along with a larger caliber .45 ACP for bigger threats.

May all your problems be small and quiet.

Sources: glock.com, the US BATF, and wikepedia (yes, I know, "Infidel to E2!").

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.