No matter how lame the date is that you're on the girl with the roses makes you feel guilty. She comes sashaying down between the stools with a basket full of cheap roses that she sells for $5 apiece. She usually has a knack for zeroing in on the me, the poor guy that has no intention of buying a rose but is in the company of a lady1.

This sucks for the following reasons:

1 – I probably just met the person I’m talking to and have no intention of giving her anything. I also have no intention of going home with her either but the girl with the roses seems to think otherwise. She’s like the out-of-touch grandmother that thinks every girl you shake hands with is going to be the mother of your children.

2 – I don’t do roses. It’s not some cheap guy's cop-out, I really don’t. They lack imagination and I think I can do better than that. I’ll do flowers. I’ll go to the hippie market and pick out a bunch of flowers with names I can’t pronounce but I don’t do the roses. It always seemed so obvious and I don’t want to be obvious.

3 – She’s making the situation awkward. Probably, I’m making polite conversation with a new friend and now I’ve got $5 roses trying to force me to steal bases.

I don’t really know what that means.

Still, it’s uncomfortable trying to politely decline her gracious offer of two roses for the price of nine (at a normal flower store.)


1Not that I'm mister lover-lover man but for the sake of this node... Plus, of course that's when the girl with the roses strikes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.