To a follower of Charles Fort, the word "ghoul" has taken on a new meaning, describing a physical location intractably and inexplicably linked to a foreboding electric charge of dread in anyone who passes through it.

While a graveyard, court of law, mall, bomb shelter, the scene of a crime or the projects might produce a sense of fear, squeam, heebie-jeebies, nausea or dread, these are usually explainable (if not with logic - we understand rationally that corpses won't climb out of graves - then contextually) and thus are discounted from falling under this category. A ghoul could be something as simple as a glade in a forest, an intersection or a patch of sidewalk with grass poking through that just makes you shudder for no comprehensible reason when you pass near it.

While psychotherapy might unearth (or implant) "forgotten" childhood memories motivating these feelings of brrr!, it's unlikely a true Fortean skeptic would allow themselves to come anywhere near a psychologist's couch.

Ghouls do not procreate with one another. They propagate their species by copulating with human females, some of whom are willing (having Ghoul relatives), and some of whom are not (most likely through a distaste for bestiality). Their offspring are born very much human, but as they become adults, they begin to transform into Ghouls. At that point, they usually tend to return to the Underworld to join their Ghoul brothers. Ghouls are carrion feeders; to them, a graveyard is a perpetual smorgasboard.

The starting basic troop and general lumber carrier available to the Undead in the 2002 hit game, Warcraft III

Physical Description: What once was man, becomes ghoul. The ghoul is an extremely thin walking corpse, stripped back to sharp teeth and claws, striped muscle and viscious intent. The muscles of the stooping ghoul are coloured with the team colours. While appearing fragile, they are remarkably strong and quite viscious fighters

Requirements: Built at: Crypt, requires: none, allows: none

Spells and Abilities: Despite having passed on, the basis of the ghoul was still human, and received unholy armor and unholy strength upgrades at the Graveyard. While initially weak in terms of HP and armour to start with, they can become realtively powerful once fully upgraded. Their other upgrades include Cannibalize, available immediately at the Crypt, where the ghoul consumes a nearby corpse to regain 10HP per second for up to 30 seconds. Once your Necropolis has been upgraded to the impressive Black Citadel, you can research ghoul frenzy at the Crypt, increasing their movement speed and attack rate to the be fastest Tier 1 melee unit.

Gameplay: One thing to note for a budding Undead power player is that you start the game with a Ghoul. One tactic I have seen is to send that Ghoul on a "suicide mission" to where you think the enemy is. If you find them, kill ANY workers and you will be ahead. However, you are also lacking your source of wood, so you need to jump straight to a Crypt and pump out ghouls to continue building. A Ghoul can carry 20 wood, more than any other worker of any race, and these "wood ghouls" obviously benefit from the upgrades of other ghouls. That means that if attacked, they can be pulled from wood duty and repel attackers, much like militia, but with a bit more punch. Ghouls are also "medium" armour, and thus don't have the weaknesses to piercing attacks that Abominations have. If your enemies go massed Archers or the like, switch back to ghouls and Crypt fiends - for a much cheaper cost, you trade off massive HP for more troops, faster attacks, but less damage. Ghouls can also be raised by the Death Knight at the Graveyard, or they can feast on the corpses there to heal.



Warcraft III Undead Guide

<<< Acolyte -- Ghoul -- Crypt fiend >>>



Information gleaned from:
  • My own lovingly played copy of Warcraft III
  • www.battle.net/war3
  • www.warcraftiii.net
Copyright information is the property of their respective owners.

Ghoul (?), n. [Per. ghl an imaginary sylvan demon, supposed to devour men and animals: cf. Ar. ghl, F. goule.]

An imaginary evil being among Eastern nations, which was supposed to feed upon human bodies.

[Written also ghole .]

Moore.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.