Exploiting a cursory knowledge of the computer system

Domino's Pizza in the U.K. now accept orders online. Once an order is placed, it appears on the computer system of the branch nearest to the delivery address, and the appropriate stickers for the pizza boxes and the delivery map are printed automatically. While working at Domino's Fareham over the summer I got a phone call that went something like this:

"Hi, this is Dave from the Domino's online helpdesk. I've got an order here that hasn't hit your system and I'm, going to need you to put it through manually for me.

"Okay, the telephone number is ____ ___ ___. And it's a returning customer so the address should have popped up as __ _______ _____. Now, the order is for one large Deluxe minus N. One large Cheese and Tomato with Z, D, I and M. Two Temptations, and a 1.25 Diet Coke.

"The customer's already paid online, so F9 the order as usual but select 'E-Debit' as payment method. "Okay, that should be all. Goodbye."

Note the verbing of F9. This may be all it takes to sound convincing as a Domino's employee. As with any of the suggestions on this node, something like this will work best when the place is busy. The person on the other end of the phone is going to be more worried about getting through the three or four callers on hold than verifying the veracity of your claims to pizza.

No Work Free Pizza

Pizza restaurants are busiest on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, the latter two being the biggest days. What this means is that not only do a lot of people order pizzas, but a lot of the pizzas which are made for people never make it to anybody for one reason or another. Whatever the reason, at the end of the night before closing up shop the employees place anywhere from one or two, and sometimes as many as 15 perfectly good pizzas (still in the box!) in the dumpster behind the store.

These pizzas are always going to be cold, but hell it's free pizza! Many times there are bread sticks there too. The best time to check is about an hour or so after closing time or the next morning. This ensures that the pizza you find is no more than a day old, very important especially in the summer time. Pizza, like all foods, does go bad especially after sitting in the heat long enough.

The best pizza restaurants to check are the big chain ones like Pizza Hut, Domino's or Papa John's. Sometimes, you can ask an employee in the moments before close if they are about to throw away any pizzas and sometimes they'll give you one. But don't count on it. The dumpster is your best bet.

Check out Dumpster Diving Food 101 for more information on other sources of free food.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.