compiled overview of the 35ton Garm 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



Named for the mythological hound noded above, the Garm was designed as a light support 'Mech for Federated Commonwealth fire lances. The Garm entered a field dominated for centuries by the famed Valkyrie, which has been a signature 'Mech of the Federated Commonwealth. The two 'Mechs share similar capabilities. Despite its heavy firepower, the Garm made few inroads into the Commonwealth military, but did find some takers in mercenary units serving in the Chaos March.

The biggest break for the Garm came when the Defense Forces of the Taurian Concordat, a nearby Periphery state, picked up several production runs. Johnston Industries was prepared to kill the model when news reports from the Periphery showed several lances of the Garm handily fending off pirate raids on the Taurian Concordat world of Mithron. After that, the Federated Commonwealth began to take serious notice of the design and ordered several hundred of the 'Mechs to fill its frontline units.

Slightly less armored than other 'Mechs of its weight class, the Garm carries greater long-range striking ability with its newly developed Mydron Excel 5SG Class autocannon. Pairing the autocannon with the Federated 10-Shot long-range missile launcher, the 'Mech can quickly shave away armor on light opponents. The Garm is very maneuverable, with enough ground speed to match most heavier scouts. The Garm also comes equipped with jump jets, adding a necessary mobility edge.

The Garm also has two fully functional hands. They were not part of the original design, but engineers saw a need for them; particularly with the growing presence of armored infantry on the modern battlefield. The hands also complement the jump jets when navigating tricky mountainous terrain.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.