Capcom's first and best cart for the Game Boy. It's an RPG/action spin-off of Capcom's Ghouls'n Ghosts series. Released in 1990.

STORY:
A long time ago a large alien force known only as the Destroyers came from a neighbouring universe and attacked the Ghoul Realm. The creatures of the Ghoul Realm were no match for the powerful destroyers but, just when everyone had given up hope, an incredible fire came out of the sky and swept over the realm, wiping out the Destroyers' army. Several hundred years have passed and the Destroyers are back for a rematch, but the secret of that powerful fire was lost through the ages.

The only clue to the survival of the Ghoul Realm lies in the hint that the sole heir to the "Red Gargoyle" can bring back the magic flame. As Firebrand, guardian Gargoyle of the Realm, you must discover this heir to the magic flame and bring peace to the kingdom once again.
AN UNKNOWN ARMY...
ATTACKED... THE KING HAS BEEN...
GWAAHH!

THEY ARE... VERY STRONG...

FIREBRAND!
RETURN... TO THE REALM
IMMEDIATELY...
HURRY, BEFORE THEY CLOSE THE
DIMENSION PORTAL THAT LEADS HERE.
GAMEPLAY:
You play the gargoyle, Firebrand. He can cling to walls, jump, fly and spit fire. Like many other Capcom games, the control is ingenious, but requires a lot of practice (see Bionic Commando).

There are two vantage points within the game. The first one is an "above-view" or "bird's eye view" of Firebrand. It's used for interior scenes (for towns and talking) and exterior scenes (traversing the overland map). The second vantage point is a close-up side view of Firebrand (platform style). It's the view-point of all battle sequences.

There are no time limits or points.

CHARACTERS (including bosses):
Breager
Bymon
Darkoan
Gremlin
Jark
Firebrand
Rushifell

ENEMIES:
Bellzemos - splits into 4 dreadwings
Bone Snapper - easy, jumping fish skeleton
Dreadwing - small, bee-like bug
Ghost - generic enemy, sometimes carry shields
Gloom Eye - big, spikey eyeball
Gorillar - attacks by shooting his head at you
Malgor - flying fucker
Man-eating Plant - tries to bite Firebrand
Twin Marr - pops up from water and spits shit

ITEMS:
Vials - Collect these and then trade them in for a Talisman of the Cyclone.
Essence of the Soulstream - Essentially a 1-Up. Firebrand can only hold 9 at a time.
Talisman of the Cyclone - Same as Essence of the Soulstream.
EXCHANGE 8 VIALS FOR 1 TALISMAN
OF THE CYCLONE.

MORE THAN THAT WOULD BE GREEDY.
PASSWORDS:
WPXF-4BDQ - Starts Firebrand at the last save point in the game with max items, etc.
FFFF-FFFF - Starts Firebrand in the first town with all items, etc.
WE GHOULS CAN BE REVIVED BY
CHANTING THE RESURRECTION
SPELL.
I'LL TELL YOU THE
WORDS OF THE SPELL. NEVER
FORGET THEM.
MAPS:
Good overland maps can be found here:
http://www.vgf.net/users/gbmono/maps/gqmap.htm

SEQUELS:
Gargoyle's Quest II (NES)
Gargoyle's Quest III - Demon's Crest (SNES)

I haven't played either of the sequels to Gargoyle's Quest, but I've heard that the NES one was just a crumby remake of the Game Boy version with a different storyline.

RELATED GAMES:
Ghouls'n Ghosts
Ghosts'n Goblins



This write-up was a Nodeshell Challenge issued by 65535.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.