Gak

  1. An exclamation of disgust or disapproval. Similar to ack!, gak! can mean a number of things, mostly in the negative connotation. Also, a sound that signifies the desire of the person to throw up.
  2. A children's toy. Launched in the summer of 1992 by Mattel, it is a nasty goo of various colors, of unknown composition and unlimited allure to little kids. Scientists suspect a water-based mixture of acrylic and silicone. Bouncy and stretchy, Mattel made a fortune off the stuff, putting it in the ranks of Silly Putty and Slime.
  3. An album by Aphex Twin. It contains four songs, Gak 1 to Gak 4, and is purely instrumental. They all have hard-driving beats and a very hypnotic rhythm. Panned by critics, it is nonetheless a good addition to the collection of any Aphex Twin fan. Gak 1 has an extremely interesting piano part, but my favorite is definitely Gak 4. Highly recommended music.

Gak is also used to describe sauces, toppings, or other foods that smell, taste, or feel odd.

Sweet pink gak is a fluorescent pink, excruciatingly sweet, gelatinous sauce served in not-so-good Chinese restaurants with such things as chicken balls. Once cooled, it solidifies into a semi-transluscent blob which cannot be restored to a smooth consistency through reheating, even with a whisk.

Brown gak is an apt description for tasteless brown gravies with an unappetizing hue and a consistency that makes one wonder if they were perhaps thickened with powdered chalk. I have found these most readily available from inexperienced vegetarians who are puzzling out the relationship between whole wheat flour and Tamari sauce, but many restaurants also have a predilection for them.

Cheese gak is a tasteless cheese sauce made from a roux and processed cheese, somewhat thicker than, but reminiscent of, LePage's school glue mixed with melted orange crayons.

Icing gak is found in and on cakes and pastries, usually in alarmingly bright colours. Some forms of icing gak will not dissolve in extremely hot water.

Donut gak Is the "cream" filling found in yeast doughnuts, in a range of flourescent colours, composed of a whipped Crisco-like substance sometimes called "Heavenly White" mixed with food colouring and artificial flavours.

Bean gak is best made by blending overcooked red beans, creating a pinkish-brown paste that sticks to the roof of your mouth.

Gak foods tend to be very hard on the digestive system and are best eaten in moderation or, better yet, not at all.

Note: This write-up will be updated with new and wondrous forms of gak as I encounter them.

In the entertainment industry: wires, cables, trailers, stands, sandbags, batteries, crew... everything that accompanies the shooting of a movie.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.