The G-Shot®, or to give it its apparent formal clinical description, G-Spot Amplification® or GSA®, is a "simple, nonsurgical, physician-administered treatment that can temporarily augment the Grafenburg spot (G-Spot) in sexually active women with normal sexual function". The treatment involves injecting collagen straight into the G-spot, thereby increasing the width of the area to "the size of a 10 pence piece" and raising it by "a quarter of an inch in height", a procedure which is claimed to not only enhance the sensitivity of the G-spot, but to also make it easier to find. It has been claimed that a pilot study showed that 87% of women who received the G-Shot reported enhanced sexual arousal and/or gratification although "results do vary".

According to the Mail on Sunday the first British woman to receive the treatment was "a 41-year-old business developer from Leeds" named Caroline Cushworth. She told the Mail that she was apprehensive about the procedure and noted how, "At one point, Professor Dartey trying to locate my G-spot with one hand while holding an 8cm needle filled with collagen in the other", but was nevertheless said to be enthusiastic over the results; "I have quite literally never experienced anything quite like it. I had constant multiple orgasms which went on for hours."

The Professor Dartey who carried out the procedure was Professor Phanuel Komla Wolanyo Dartey, MD, FRCOG, FRAS, FGCS, HOCTGt of the UK Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Centre in Harley Street, and the "the UK's only cosmetic gynaecologist approved to administer the shot". This might well have sounded terribly impressive until one realised that Professor Dartey had been an Associate of the Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Institute of Los Angeles since 2006, and that Professor Dartey's status as the only UK 'approved' provider of the treatment was simply a consequence of the commercial arrangements he had entered into with David Matlock, MD, MBA, FACOG the proprietor of the aforementioned institute.

Apparently Doctor Matlock is "world renowned for his liposculpturing including his Brazilian Butt Augmentation" and claims to have invented and developed G-Spot Amplification® (patent pending) and also offers such procedures as Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation® and Designer Laser Vaginoplasty®, which can be combined together or with any of the standard cosmetic surgical procedures such as breast augmentation. Anyone who is sufficiently curious about what exactly is involved with Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation® or indeed Designer Laser Vaginoplasty®, can access the website of the Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Institute of Los Angeles which provides a helpful series of 'before and after' photographs illustrating the procedures, although you must of course be at least eighteen years old in order to view the images since they are "sexually explicit". Professor Dartey's website ("Our mission is to empower women with knowledge, choice, and alternatives") also includes a useful 'Brief Overview' of the various procedures in support of his contention that he "can completely re-sculpt and rejuvenate the vagina with a 1 hour laser procedure".

As far as G-Spot Amplification® is concerned, the main page of the G-Spot website contains the statement that "GSA is a patent pending method of amplifying or augmenting the G-Spot with a human engineered collagen, which is FDA approved" which might well be regarded as a tad misleading, since it is the "human engineered collagen" which is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration, rather than the practice of injecting it into the vagina for the purposes of enhanced sexual gratification. As is admitted elsewhere on the site, "G-Shot is not an approved use of collagen by the FDA and is an off-label use", although it was noted that "collagen injection into the vagina (trans-vaginal or trans-urethral)" has been performed for many years for the treatment of a condition called intrinsic sphincter deficiency or ISD.

The G-Spot website also helpfully provides a copy of the consent form, where prospective patients are required to confirm their understanding of the risks associated with the procedure which include; Bleeding; Infections; Urinary retentions; Accelerated collagen re-absorption; No effect at all; Allergic reactions; Constant awareness of the G-Spot; A sensation of always being sexually aroused; Constant vaginal wetness; Mental preoccupation of the G-Spot; Alteration of the function of the G-Spot; Sexual function alterations; Hematoma; Collagen site ulceration; Urethral injury; Urinary retentions; Hematuria; Urinary Tract Infection; Urinary Urgency; Urinary Frequency; Nocturia; Change in urinary stream; Urethral vaginal fistula; Vesico-vaginal fistula; Dyspareunia; Need for subsequent surgery; Alteration of vaginal sensations; Vagina scar formation; Urethral stricture; Local tissue infarction and necrosis; Yeast infections; Vaginal Discharges; Spotting between periods; Bladder Pains; Overactive Bladder; Bladder Fullness; Exposed Material; Pelvic Pains; Pelvic Heaviness; Collagen injected into the bladder or urethra; Erosion; Fatigue; Damage to nearby organs including bladder, urethra and ureters; Alteration of bladder dynamics; Post-operative pain; Prolonged pain; Intractable pain; Alteration of the female sexual response cycle; Failed procedure; Varied results; Psychological alterations; Relationship problems; Sex life alteration; Decreased sexual function; Possible hospitalization for treatment of complications; Lidocaine toxicity; Anesthesia reaction; Embolism; Depression; Reactions to medications including anaphylaxis; Nerve damage; Permanent numbness; Slow healing; Swelling; Sexual dysfunction; Allergy to Collagen material; Collagen migration; and Nodule formation. There also "may be other RISKS OR COMPLICATIONS, OR SERIOUS INJURY from both known and unknown causes", together with the standard risks of "local discomfort, swelling, bruising, allergic reactions to medications, and seizures" that arise from the administration of the local anesthetics.

However perhaps the most serious drawback is that the effects of the G-Shot do not last beyond four months at the outside, which means that treatment needs to be repeated three or four times a year at a cost of £800 a time (in the United Kingdom at least).


SOURCES

  • Natasha Courtenay-Smith, I've had the G-shot...and YES,YES,YES, my sex life has never been better, Mail On Sunday, 19th June 2008
    http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/femail/article-1027541/Ive-G-shot--YES-YES-YES-sex-life-better.html
  • The Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Institute of Los Angeles at http://www.drmatlock.com
  • G-Spot Amplification™ at http://www.thegshot.com/risks.htm
  • UK Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Centre at http://www.profdartey.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.