Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) - Weasello Rating: {>>>-} (Better) {{ Prequel | Sequel }}
Please note that this review is laden with spoilers.

Jason Injury Count: In this episode the culprit is once again not Jason. Is it the psycho kid from the last movie?! The Jason wanna-be does, however: Get his hand lacerated by a machette, get whacked in the head with a pipe, pushed off a barn and falls about 2 stories, stabbed in the thigh, chainsawed in the shoulder, and hit by the shovel of a tractor. The finishing blow is falling off of a barn onto several spikey things, impaling him to death. Suprisingly, "Jason" never stumbles or trips a single time!

Bodycount: 22 (8 Female, 14 Male, 3 of which were in a dream and/or hallucination)

Plot Outline: Tommy from the previous movie is sent to Pinehurst psychiatric camp, to help him with his nightmares about Jason. A series of killings begins to occur, and even though Jason has been buried and is officially dead, he is making appearances. In a wild twist that hasn't occured before in any other movie of the series, someone is impersonating Jason! Murder murder kill kill, gasp, lots of death.

The Jason impersonator turns out to be some extra in the movie that made a brief appearance at the beginning of the film. After he is killed (see above), Tommy dons Jason's old mask (he must have stolen it at the end of the last movie) and may have killed someone. The movie fades out before it happens, though I can say the person is dead with 80% accuracy. Is Tommy going insane? Will he become a new Jason? Does he now have the taste of blood? Find out next week in Jason MCVXXCI!

Interesting Notes:
  • This is also the first movie in the series to use the word "Fuck." It may have been used once previous but it is used about 25-40 times in this movie alone.
  • Conversely, this movie has a record low for nude scenes, departing from the 10-person-skinny-dipping a few movies ago.
  • Jason sets a record for killing men in this movie! Usually (with a few exceptions per movie) he kills in a guy-girl-guy-girl fashion. In this movie, he kills a full 6 men before killing the first woman! Sexist or what?!?
  • This is this first movie in the series to use the well-known "Killer-in-the-mirror" shot, where some hapless girl is combing her hair and Jason appears in the reflection. I've been waiting for it to happen for four goddamn movies, and it finally made an appearance!
Lead roles: Directed by: Danny Steinmann

Writing credits: David Cohen (III), Danny Steinmann

Tagline: If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone!
Sources: The oh-so-wonderful IMDB, my head, and the box.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.