A TV series originally aired from 1988-1990 and starring Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger. Aired in the UK from 1999-2000.

After the relatively disappointing fourth installment of the "A Nightmare On Elm Street" series earlier in 1988, fans must have been pretty pleased to see the first episode of Freddy's Nightmares, "No More Mr. Nice Guy", a prequel to the first film that showed the mistrial, hunting down and burning of Freddy Krueger, and the begginings of his subsequent marauding of the dream world. It seemed a welcome return for Freddy to the cold-blooded slasher, as opposed to the comical killer he had started to become in recent outings.

However after the first episode the truth about this series sets in. Each episode is an hour long, and is in fact split up into two smaller stories of half an hour long each that do continue onto each other, but could stand alone. At the beginning and end of each half-hour segment, Freddy pops up and cracks a bad one-liner about the upcoming story. Exit Freddy, and enter what could be a different program altogether. Barring the use of some of the same places (Springwood and its various civic establishments) and the occasional reference to Freddy Krueger, most of the episodes bare no real relationship to the movies whatsoever. In fact after the first couple, one quickly begins to think that without the token appearance from Freddy at the beginning, this series would be releagted to the kind of cheap Twighlight Zone rip-offs one might find on TV in the early hours of the morning.

I say most of the episodes because thankfully there is the occasional one where Freddy actually does the dirty work for a change, for example, the episode where Freddy kills the lieutenant's daughters. These episodes, however, are too few and far-between to save the series from mediocrity.

It seems that after its original airing, this show disappeared off the face of the Earth until it was shown on TNT in the UK and since its few months on there it seems to have once again disappeared into the abyss from whence it came, apart from the first three episodes of the first series, which are available on DVD from my local HMV store.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.