to have a big hairy spaz, that is, to have a violently surprised or startled reaction to stimuli. To throw a fit, but not like Lewis Carroll did. Opposite of freaking in. See also: "geek out".

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention's first album, released in 1966. This album probably did more to get the hippie movement into middle America than any other one thing.

"Who could imagine that they would freak out in Minnesota?" "Kansas?"

In fact, Zappa was already making fun of hippies, and they were all too stoned to realize it.

When in the course of human events, it becomes neccessary to lose your mind, or when something has occurred that seems to either go beyond your grasp, or disturb you, we can refer to this as "freaking out."

Freaking out can be a very uncomfortable experience. You can feel like you want to get away from the current environment, people, situation, and/or circumstances. Freaking out can generate feelings of worthlessness, and make you want to stay in your house and become a recluse.

Freaking out can be dealt with. It is not good to feel uncomfortable in the world in which we live. Some things that may help you return to a normal state once you have become freaked out:

Breathing deeply: Deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth.

Remembering that you are your own person, and you have the right to feel the way you do, but that sometimes it helps to expand your horizons and keep and open heart and mind.

Remind yourself that just because something goes beyond your realm of understanding, that it doesn't make you any less of a person, and that you can take it as an opportunity to expand your spirit.

If it helps you to tear up some cardboard or scream or yell, then get somewhere and do it where nobody can see you or be hurt in case you become violent or aggressive.

Don't hurt anybody unless there is obvious reason, and I mean *damn* good reason, to hurt the person. Relax, calm yourself down, and try doing something you enjoy that you might not have done in a while.

At the end of the day, you can usually go back to your own home and your nice, warm bed. Remember that tomorrow is always another day, but if there is a problem and you feel like you did something wrong, it is a good idea to apologize. Even if a guilty party was in the wrong, at least your conscience will be clear.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.