German-Jewish author, 1883-1924. Famous for his quasi-existentialist and surreal novels and stories dealing with alienation in modern society. Many of his most famous works were posthumously published after Max Brod, his best friend, failed to respect his dying wish and burn the manuscripts.

Best remembered as skewering bureaucracy in his oeuvre "The Trial" as well as his shorter stories The Metamorphosis, A Hunger Artist, In the Penal Colony and the humourous Amerika.

Born 3 July 1883 in Prague. Died 3 June 1924 in Kierling. Kafka is buried in the Prague-Straschnitz Jewish Cemetery (which is not the same as Prague's Old Jewish Cemetery, stary zdivsky hrbitov, in the city center).

His commentators have seen him as a precursor to existentialism. The scholar Gershom Scholem read the Kabbalah in and through Kafka, a fact of great signifance for contemporary Jewish thought. He has been read as a figure in psychoanalysis, Marxism, poststructuralism and just about any other modernist current of thought.

The Kafka bibliography reveals an immense corpus of work. Three published novels. Hundreds of letters to friends, family, and lovers. Kafka wrote thirteen quarto notebooks (posthumously published as his Diaries) and eight more octavo notebooks. He also wrote numerous short stories, parables, fragments, drafts, sketches, one piece of dramatic fiction.

Just a few themes in Kafka's works:

Works published during Kafka's lifetime:

  • Betrachtung. Rowohlt Verlag, 1913
  • Das Urteil (The Judgment). Kurt Wolff Verlag, 1913
  • Der Heizer. Ein Fragment. Kurt Wolff Verlag, 1913
  • Die Verwandlung (The Metamorphosis). Kurt Wolff Verlag, 1915
  • In der Strafkolonie (In the Penal Colony). Kurt Wolff Verlag, 1919
  • Ein Landarzt. Kleine Erzahlungen. Kurt Wolff Verlag, 1919
  • Ein Hungerkunstler. Vier Geschichten. Verlag Die Schmiede, 1924

Kafka wrote three novels in his lifetime:

Kafka's epistolary and private texts in English include:

The Complete selection of Kafka's short stories, excepting the fragments, given in English-language titles from the Schocken edition of The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka:

An incomplete list of the shorter fiction, parables and paradoxes, taken from The Complete Stories published by Schocken Books (see above):

All English-language editions of Kafka's works are generally available through Schocken books.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.