The frankfurter sausage is probably the most famous and celebrated export from the German town of Frankfurt. In a country obsessed with sausage, the frankfurter, or common hot dog (aka saveloy) is a prince among smallgoods.

The originator of the frankfurter is said to be Herr Johann Georghehne, a butcher from the town of Coburg, Germany. The sausage is reckoned to have been introduced to the public for the first time in the year 1484, five years before Christopher Columbus sailed for the New World. The city of Frankfurt celebrated the 500th anniversary of the invention of the sausage in the year 1987.

The modern frankfurter is either a combination of pork and beef or pure beef, providing a base for the kosher variety. The meat mixture is cured, smoked, and cooked, and seasonings are very much up to the manufacturer, but commonly include coriander, garlic, mustard, nutmeg, salt, sugar, and white pepper. The modern frankfurter is commonly 20cm long, although can be made into short links, known as cocktail franks. Most frankfurters are skinned, although some varieties are sold skinless.

The history of the hot dog is another story, and another node altogether...

research sources include encyclopedia.com & The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.