Frank Robinson was born in Beaumont, Texas on August 31, 1935. He quickly made waves in the National League, winning the Rookie Of The Year for 1956 unanimously after slugging 38 home runs for the Cincinnati Reds. A fearless competitor, the slick right fielder played for 21 years with the Reds, Orioles, Dodgers, Angels, and Indians, finishing his career fourth on the all-time list with 586 home runs.

Despite his success with the Reds, he was traded to Baltimore after the 1965 season for several no-name players. The next year Robinson won the Triple Crown with the Orioles, batting .316 with 49 home runs and 122 runs batted in. The sweet-swinging right hander also won the MVP that year, making him the only player to win the award in both leagues. As a grand finale, the Orioles swept the World Series over the Dodgers, and Robinson was named the series MVP. It still stands as one of the most lopsided trades in baseball history.

Robinson would lead the Orioles to four American League pennants and two World Series during his tenure with the club. Nearing the end of his career, he added another feat to his list of accolades - as a player/manager for the Indians, he became the first African-American manager in the major leagues.

Frank Robinson ranks among the all-time offensive greats: he is fourth all-time in home runs, 14th in RBI and 11th in runs. He also ranks in the top 30 in walks, hits, and doubles. A fourteen time All-Star, he was elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame in 1982 with over 89% of the vote.

Frank Robinson - Career Stats

   G    AB    R    H  2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB   BB    K .AVG .OBP .SLG
2808 10006 1829 2943 528 72 586 1812 204 1420 1532 .294 .389 .537

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.