The frangipani is a deciduous tree, of the Plumeria genus. Originally found along coastlines, the frangipani can now be found in a variety of climates but still thrives near the coast. It is best known for its simple but beautiful flowers and strong, delicious fragrance.

Plumeria rubra can grow up to 8 metres and has a short, wide trunk. The spreading branches form a crown-like circle of green leaves and the fleshy funnel-form flowers are reddish-pink in colour.

The Plumera acutifolia is the more common form of the frangipani tree, found in suburban gardens all over the place. This is the form with pure white flowers with a yellow golden centre, and has much denser foliage.

Frangipani plants are easy to care for, and can grow from a cutting so you don't even have to buy a plant or seeds: simply place the cutting in a bucket of water until roots form and leaves appear, then plant. They need at least a half day of full sun to produce blooms, and like to be kept moist but not too wet. There are a number of commercial fertilizers which will help your plant prosper but they aren't always necessary as the plant is very hardy. To keep the plant compact, avoid nitrogen fertilizers.

Plumera can be kept in pots or be planted outdoors to form a nicely perfumed shady area.

Fran`gi*pan"i (?), Fran`gi*pan"ni (?), n. [Another spelling of frangipane.]

A perfume derived from, or imitating the odor of, the flower of the red jasmine, a West Indian tree of the genus Plumeria.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.