10% cute furry bits and 90% razor sharp bits. Medium sized dog-like predator with red fur, native to Europe.

Will kill or maim just about anything they possibly can, including kittens, cats, small dogs, chickens, lambs etc. One of the main reasons why battery farming became popular.

For hillarious results, just take one animal rights campaigner, a dozen free range chickens, add one fox and stand well back.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I had been working late in the library, and was walking home to my digs. I lived with a mad old lady on top of a hill, about a mile from the school. It had been snowing all day, and everything was blanketed thicksparklyicedwhite. I was walking home, muttering to myself about idiots and arseholes and anglo-saxon history, head filled with music from my walkman, zigzagging around in the middle of the silent street to leave odd patterns of footprints, staring at the trees and the sky. The streetlights' orange glow was making everything unreal, casting odd streaks across the whiteness and changing the colours of everything else. It was still snowing in soft fat flakes, and I could hear nothing but the music in my ears when I spotted a dark shape walking slowly towards me in the middle of the road.

I walked more carefully now, measuring quiet paces, straight in the centre of the road, matching speed with the lithe creature ahead. As we got closer to each other, I saw it was a fox. A large fox, with careful feet and a night time certainty. I stopped, not wanting to scare it away, and sat down crosslegged in the road. The fox paused, just a couple of feet in front of me, and tilted its head, eyes bright and fixed on me.

It sat down carefully on the snow. We sat there, just watching each other. Two strange beasts trying to work the other out. If the music had not been so loud, I would have been able to hear its breath. If the night had not been so cold, I would have been able to smell its warmth. We sat, snow falling orange around and on us, not moving, limbs chilling. I was so still the flakes were settling even on my eyelashes.

The music finished. The tape clunked loudly as it hit the end, breaking the silent spell. We both jumped slightly, realising that something had finished. As I started to uncurl frozen legs, the fox darted into the trees at the edge of the road, looking back for a moment, stopping for a moment, before vanishing in the dark.

Whenever I listen to that music now, all I can see is the fox.

As far as I can tell, Birmingham UK's only dyke pub, at least in the city centre. It can be found on Lower Essex Street; to get there, you head towards Angels (Hurst Street), walk up the road with Route Two on it, and turn left. The Fox can be identified by its sign which is, inexplicably, a dog wearing a hat and a monocle. Odd.

It's a small pub, with one bar, a pool room and a garden. The only food it serves is crisps and peanuts, and it has free copies of Boyz and The Pink Paper.

When first going in, it's somewhat intimidating, but it's fine once you're in there. If in the pool room with more than one other person, you're likely to find yourself emboiled in a winner stays on tournament. There's no disabled access as far as I can tell, which is a bit of a bummer. The toilet facilities are a bit crap, only one cubicle in each, and there was a memorable incident last week when the ladies was out of order and we all had to use the gents. Thank god it was a gay bar.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday appear to be karaoke night, and the 'music' gets turned up hideously loud at about half past eight, rendering all conversations null and void.

It is, however, very nice to be in what is, basically, a dyke-only bar. Pubs in general, yes, including the scene, are a little masculine, and it's cool to have the option of going somewhere that's mostly women.

1970s slang for an attractive woman. As a term of approbation, "fox" conjures up images of gold chains across hairy chests, shiny polyester shirts, Halston dresses, flashing disco lights, disco balls, disco dancing and disco music.

"Ooh la la, c'est la FOX!"

"Hey, foxy lady!"

"That chick is a fox."

The acme of foxiness, is of course, embodied by Pam Grier, as Foxy Brown.

fox (v.)
To shut down, or threaten with legal action, a website or other creative fan project under the guise of copyright infringement.

The term arose, of course, from Twentieth-Century Fox, a media company which has a history of overzealous protection of intellectual property rights, especially as regards the Web. This apparently started around late 1996, when fansites for such Fox shows as The Simpsons and Millennium began to receive letters from the company's law firm, demanding the removal of any images, sounds, or other material copyrighted to Fox. In some cases, rather than contacting the webmaster, the lawyers went directly to the sites' web hosting providers, many of whom deleted entire web pages before their designers knew what had happened.

Predictably, all of this prompted a fan outcry against Fox, who finally relented enough that the fansites gradually returned (subject to more restrictive "terms of use"). It must have been around this time that people began describing their sites as having been foxed... another example of how verbing weirds language.

But it wasn't over: other derivative works by fans got foxed in early 1997: for instance, managers for Oasis threatened many of the band's fansites, and an add-on package for the video game Quake based on the Alien films (owned, naturally, by Fox) was shut down. Since then, other companies have tried the same strategy, perhaps trying to protest their financial interest in their own copyrights and trademarks. A few, however, have chosen to enforce their rights more loosely in the interest of perserving amity with their own fanbase, such as the Lucasfilm/LucasArts family (witness the popularity of Kevin Rubio's Troops and other Star Wars fan films).



Sources: www.bringers.org.uk, www.planetquake.com, whatis.techtarget.com.

The porno mag Fox underwent a rebirth a few years ago. In an attempt to distinguish itself from the masses of mediocre mags out there, it took on a theme, calling itself the magazine of porn stars and strippers and swingers. It tries to present itself as a magazine filled to popping with wild debauchery--the home of the dirtiest girls known to man.

I don't know if they're the dirtiest, but they're certainly among the nastiest. Fox is now ostensibly led by Jill Kelly, an elderly porn star who's listed as "publisher" on the masthead (I assume she's nothing more than a figurehead). The washed-up models have bleached blonde hair (or sometimes a bad wig), enormous black eyelashes, sagging shapeless breasts, absurd costume jewelry, bad tattoos, and bloated chewed-up bodies that have seen better decades.

Sadly, even the best airbrushing can't save these women. The photos tend to be grainy and low-res, maybe because the editors are doing their damnedest to try and hide the models' flaws. A few good pics do slip in here and there--a recent issue had a gorgeous closeup of a woman fingering herself to the second joint. Most of the time, though, the photos imitate the mechanics of good porn (with women squatting on dildos, licking two schlongs at once, and the like) but lack the spirited and enthusiastic lustiness of better mags like Cheri or Hawk. A straightforward split beaver shot is ruined by the model's withered and clawlike hand. In one picture, the guy receiving a blowjob has his eyes closed, but he doesn't seem overwhelmed with passion--instead, he looks like he's fallen asleep. In another shot, a girl in the midst of a double penetration has a mildly confused expression, as though she can't quite hear what the photographer is saying to her. Later on, the closeup of the double pen is ruined by amateurish lighting--because of the shadows, you can't actually see what's going on, which makes the poor girl's effort a total waste. On the whole, it looks as though the photographers and models didn't really have their hearts in their work. And hey, given how crappy the magazine is, who can blame them?

  • Pictorials: 7-9
  • Girls: fake and washed-up
  • Penetration: a moderate amount, though the photos of it tend to be blurry or poorly lit
  • Lesbian: 1-2 pictorials/issue
  • Guy/Girl: 1-2 pictorials per issue
  • Group: 0-1 per issue
  • Fetish: none
  • Stories/Articles: letters and a story or two
  • know_no_bounds's rating: * *

Among all the other things the name has been used for, Fox is the name of a company which makes forks and shocks for mountain bikes, dirt bikes, snowmobiles and side x sides (a kind of off-road two-seat go-kart.) Fox is generally considered to make some of the best equipment especially in mountain biking, with a range of products with a variety of features.

The company was started by Bob Fox in 1974 to produce motocross motorcycle parts. Fox has long been a major name in motorcycle racing, especially starting with the first win on Fox Shocks in 1976. At the time, the old short-travel shocks were giving way to long-travel and most of the designs were based on the short-travel stuff; Fox made an air shock designed for long travel and the rest is history.

Today the major differentiators between Fox and others (at least in mountain biking) are the durability and ride quality. High-end Fox air forks feature an option called "TALAS" which provide separate high and low speed compression adjustments (rebound is separate) and their good rear shocks have an option called "ProPedal" which allows short, high-speed compression for floating bumps, but which prevents long, slow compression strokes to permit uphill pedaling on full suspension bicycles.

References

Fox (?), n.; pl. Foxes (#). [AS. fox; akin to D. vos, G. fuchs, OHG. fuhs, foha, Goth. faúh&?;, Icel. f&?;a fox, fox fraud; of unknown origin, cf. Skr. puccha tail. Cf. Vixen.]

1. (Zoöl.)

A carnivorous animal of the genus Vulpes, family Canidæ, of many species. The European fox (V. vulgaris or V. vulpes), the American red fox (V. fulvus), the American gray fox (V. Virginianus), and the arctic, white, or blue, fox (V. lagopus) are well-known species.

⇒ The black or silver-gray fox is a variety of the American red fox, producing a fur of great value; the cross- gray and woods-gray foxes are other varieties of the same species, of less value. The common foxes of Europe and America are very similar; both are celebrated for their craftiness. They feed on wild birds, poultry, and various small animals.

Subtle as the fox for prey.
Shak.

2. (Zoöl.)

The European dragonet.

3. (Zoöl.)

The fox shark or thrasher shark; -- called also sea fox. See Thrasher shark, under Shark.

4.

A sly, cunning fellow. [Colloq.]

We call a crafty and cruel man a fox.
Beattie.

5. (Naut.)

Rope yarn twisted together, and rubbed with tar; -- used for seizings or mats.

6.

A sword; -- so called from the stamp of a fox on the blade, or perhaps of a wolf taken for a fox. [Obs.]

Thou diest on point of fox.
Shak.

7. pl. (Ethnol.)

A tribe of Indians which, with the Sacs, formerly occupied the region about Green Bay, Wisconsin; -- called also Outagamies.

Fox and geese.
(a) A boy's game, in which one boy tries to catch others as they run one goal to another.
(b) A game with sixteen checkers, or some substitute for them, one of which is called the fox, and the rest the geese; the fox, whose first position is in the middle of the board, endeavors to break through the line of the geese, and the geese to pen up the fox. --
Fox bat (Zoöl.), a large fruit bat of the genus Pteropus, of many species, inhabiting Asia, Africa, and the East Indies, esp. P. medius of India. Some of the species are more than four feet across the outspread wings. See Fruit bat. --
Fox bolt, a bolt having a split end to receive a fox wedge. --
Fox brush (Zoöl.), the tail of a fox. --
Fox evil, a disease in which the hair falls off; alopecy. --
Fox grape (Bot.), the name of two species of American grapes. The northern fox grape (Vitis Labrusca) is the origin of the varieties called Isabella, Concord, Hartford, etc., and the southern fox grape (Vitis vulpina) has produced the Scuppernong, and probably the Catawba. --
Fox hunter.
(a) One who pursues foxes with hounds.
(b) A horse ridden in a fox chase. --
Fox shark (Zoöl.), the thrasher shark. See Thrasher shark, under Thrasher. --
Fox sleep, pretended sleep. --
Fox sparrow (Zoöl.), a large American sparrow (Passerella iliaca); -- so called on account of its reddish color. --
Fox squirrel (Zoöl.), a large North American squirrel (Sciurus niger, or S. cinereus). In the Southern States the black variety prevails; farther north the fulvous and gray variety, called the cat squirrel, is more common. --
Fox terrier (Zoöl.), one of a peculiar breed of terriers, used in hunting to drive foxes from their holes, and for other purposes. There are rough- and smooth-haired varieties. --
Fox trot, a pace like that which is adopted for a few steps, by a horse, when passing from a walk into a trot, or a trot into a walk. --
Fox wedge (Mach. & Carpentry), a wedge for expanding the split end of a bolt, cotter, dowel, tenon, or other piece, to fasten the end in a hole or mortise and prevent withdrawal. The wedge abuts on the bottom of the hole and the piece is driven down upon it. Fastening by fox wedges is called foxtail wedging. --
Fox wolf (Zoöl.), one of several South American wild dogs, belonging to the genus Canis. They have long, bushy tails like a fox.

 

© Webster 1913


Fox (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Foxed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Foxing.] [See Fox, n., cf. Icel. fox imposture.]

1.

To intoxicate; to stupefy with drink.

I drank . . . so much wine that I was almost foxed.
Pepys.

2.

To make sour, as beer, by causing it to ferment.

3.

To repair the feet of, as of boots, with new front upper leather, or to piece the upper fronts of.

 

© Webster 1913


Fox, v. i.

To turn sour; -- said of beer, etc., when it sours in fermenting.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.