"So you see," I concluded, setting aside the glass-topped display drawer full of trilobite fossils and the stack of "Nature" articles about ancient bird and theropod dinosaur fossils, "There is evidence for the gradual evolution of new forms from previous ones. You can't say that there are no transitional fossils."

"You don't understand, do you?" he said. "Fossils were put there by God, to test the faith of humanity in the literal truth of His word in the Bible! Like all secular humanists, you assume there is a scientific explanation for everything!"

"How could I not conclude that," I replied, "When the God you speak of has apparently provided such consistent, compelling evidence, and on such a massive scale?"

(The preceding has been a dramatic re-enactment. No Creationists were harmed in its making.)

I know that some pro-God people don't like the 'fossils were put there by God' argument, because it smacks of subterfuge, which the Judeo-Christian God would not indulge in.

The whole extinction thing doesn't really fit the modern God idea, since he would never have created animals that he later would have wiped out. This also puts a hole in the 'fossils are dead animals from the great flood' argument.

Face it, the Judeo-Christian God idea is horribly non-self consistent, and suggests that the only true religion is that of Pokey the Penguin

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.