This document is considered to be public property of the Citizens of the United States of America, & is therefore not protected by any copyright laws which would prohibit its reproduction.

Part of a subsection of a node in the Cold War Document and Speech Meta Node

Text of Soviet Draft Letter

Soviet draft

Exchange of identical letters between A.A. Gromyko, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, and D. Rusk, Secretary of State of the United States of America, concerning exchanges in the fields of science, technology, and culture between the two countries

Letter of A.A. Gromyko, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the USSR, to D. Rusk, US Secretary of State

DEAR MR. SECRETARY: I have the honor to refer to the negotiations which recently took place between the representatives of our two governments on scientific, technical and cultural exchanges between the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics and the United States of America. As I understand it, the objective of each of our governments is as follows:

1. To expand comprehensively the scientific, technical and cultural ties between our two countries in the interests of improving mutual understanding between the Soviet and the American peoples and developing international cooperation.

2. To implement scientific, technical and cultural ties between the two countries in accordance with the Constitution and the applicable laws and regulations which are in force in each country, with necessary observance of the principles of respecting sovereignty, non-interference in internal affairs, and equality.

3. To encourage the exchanges of groups of specialists in the field of industry, agriculture, construction, trade, etc.

4. To encourage visits by scientists, persons active in higher education and the educational system, and public health for the purpose of conducting joint studies, exchanging experience, holding lectures, and learning about the achievements of both countries; as well as to encourage exchanges of students and graduate students to attend higher educational institutions.

5. To encourage visits by scientists and experts to international scientific conferences, congresses, symposia, and exhibits held by both countries, and to extend equal opportunities to all participants of such conferences, congresses, symposia, and exhibits.

6. To encourage exchanges of performers and performing troupes, to promote trips of persons active in public and cultural affairs, repre-sentatives of trade-union, women's, youth and other non-governmental organizations.

7. To promote the development of ties in the field of sports by organizing trips of athletes and sports organizations; as well as to encourage tourist trips of American citizens to the USSR and of Soviet citizens to the USA.

8. To promote the development of exchange of information between the two countries by organizing exhibits, exchanging radio and television programs and printed publications.

I assume that being guided by the aforesaid principles, both countries will regularly develop and sign agreements between our countries on exchanges in the field of science, technology, health, education, and culture, for terms of two years each.

I hope, Mr. Secretary, that the aforesaid principles will come into force on receipt of your letter containing approval of these principles by your Government.

With assurances of my esteem,

Andrei Gromyko/5/
Minister of Foreign Affairs of the USSR

/5/Printed from a copy that bears this typed signature.

 

109. Editorial Note

John McCloy, President's Adviser for Disarmament, who was in the Soviet Union for bilateral disarmament talks with Soviet Deputy Foreign Minister Zorin, met with Chairman Khrushchev on July 26 and 27, 1961. Ambassador Thompson reported on their discussions in telegram 323 to the Department of State, July 28. Khrushchev "asserted Sovs not testing clandestinely and assured McCloy would not do it in future either. Said strong pressure on him to resume tests because many inventions and discoveries had accumulated and designers want to test them. This pressure now stronger in view Berlin situation and threat of war if peace treaty signed." Khrushchev "conceded no agreement in Geneva in sight since US would not agree to troika and Sovs could not abandon it." For text, see Foreign Relations, 1961-1963, volume VII, pages 110-112.

In a July 28 memorandum McGeorge Bundy recorded the President's decision to send Arthur Dean back to Geneva about August 20 "to make one last effort" to obtain Soviet agreement to the draft test ban treaty. Should there be no progress within a week, "the President will then announce that in light of Soviet folly he now has concluded that no workable treaty is possible." Bundy also noted that the "President may, at some appropriate point, reach a decision to authorize stand-by preparations for tests of nuclear weapons, such tests to begin not earlier than 1962." For text, see ibid., pages 114-115.

Secretary of Defense McNamara informed McCloy in a letter of July 28 that he was recommending that the Committee of Principals propose to the President the initiation of preparations to resume nuclear weapons testing. It now seemed evident, McNamara stated, "that the Soviet Union is not interested in a treaty to discontinue nuclear weapons tests except on terms unacceptable to the U.S." McNamara proposed a sequence of events starting with "an early announcement that preparations for nuclear tests will start at once, but that the decision to conduct tests will depend on the results of test ban negotiations over the next five or six months," and culminating in the resumption of tests if treaty negotiations were unsuccessful. McNamara stated further that, following six months of underground testing, ten tests "might be made in and above the atmosphere, on the surface of land or water and underwater, but designed to produce a minimum of radioactive contamination." For text of McNamara's memorandum, see ibid., pages 116-124.

 

FOREIGN RELATIONS OF THE UNITED STATES - 1961-1963 - Volume V - Soviet Union P61

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.