In this Alfred Hitchcock movie made in the early days of World War II, reporter Joel McCrea is sent to Europe to cover the pre-war tensions there. Features the assassination of a diplomat on the stairs of a public building, a mysterious signalling windmill, an interrogation by Nazi agents, a plane crash, the London Blitz, and more. Was a small and unofficial part of a propaganda campaign to bring America into the War.

Johnny Jones: "I'm in love with you, and I want to marry you."
Carol Fisher: "I'm in love with you, and I want to marry you."
Johnny Jones: "Hmm... that cuts down our love scene quite a bit, doesn't it?"

Classic espionage thriller, released in 1940. It was directed by Alfred Hitchcock and written by a host of mostly-uncredited screenwriters and dialogue punchers, including Robert Benchley, Charles Bennett, Harold Clurman, Joan Harrison, Ben Hecht, James Hilton, John Howard Lawson, John Lee Mahin, Richard Maibaum, and Budd Schulberg.

The film starred George Sanders, Joel McCrea, Laraine Day, Herbert Marshall, Albert Bassermann, Robert Benchley, Edmund Gwenn, Eduardo Ciannelli, and Ian Wolfe.

McCrea plays Johnny Jones, a reporter for a New York newspaper, who is assigned to be the paper's foreign correspondent in Europe. While on the way to interview a Dutch statesman, he witnesses the man's assassination and must go on the run from a Nazi spy ring.

This was fairly early in Hitchcock's run, but it features some excellent and suspenseful set pieces, including a chase through a sea of umbrellas, a cat-and-mouse game inside a Dutch windmill, the tense scene in the cathedral tower, and a thrilling plane crash, shot from inside the plane. The acting is also quite good: McCrea's cynical reporter, Bassermann's weary diplomat, Gwenn's cheery assassin -- and Sanders even gets to play a rare sympathetic role! The only sour note is the ham-handedly gung-ho patriotic speech at the end -- but that's not reason enough for missing out on this movie, so start pestering your local video store for it today!

"Foreign Correspondent" was nominated for a number of Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Writing: Original Screenplay, Best Supporting Actor for Basserman, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, and Best Special Effects.

Research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.