The Ford Probe GT was an experiment in producing a sport compact car to compete with the import market owned by Supras and Eclipses. It was built jointly with Mazda, and thus the MX6 is its factory twin. Both were front wheel drive hatchbacks.

There are 2 generations of the Probe GT. The first is 1989-1992 (which had a 12 valve SOHC, turbo'd inline-4 engine), and the second is 1993-1997 (which had a 24 valve DOHC, naturally aspirated engine). Both were offered with 4 speed automatic (w/ overdrive) or 5 speed manual transmissions.

Specifications can be found in the Ford Probe FAQ located at: http://webcentrix.net/probe/specs.html

...the following is my personal opinion, having owned a 1st generation Probe GT, I feel it has some validity...
I think Ford could have done a much better job. The engine itself was built by Mazda, and on earlier models (referred to as Generation 1) was almost bullet-proof. The periphery surrounding the engine, otoh, was built by Ford, and not very well. Almost all of the problems I've had with my Probe GT have been due to failing engine peripherals. For instance: The turbo (built by IHI, and normaly very high quality) had to be replaced twice that I know of (it's a used car), the primary ignition coil, ignition module, alternator, and a number of very small and expensive coolant bypass hoses have had to be replaced also.

One must wonder by now, "Why do you keep that POS around?" Quite simple: When it does work, it's incredibly fun to drive. Having a turbo, boost controller, custom intake and exhast, 5-speed, and a bumpin' stereo really helps the appeal. That, and the simplicity with which it can beat a Honda Civic Si adds to the fun factor. (note: I live in Southern California, where the rice boys grow)

One last note: Don't ever buy one of these cars older than 1995. Prior to 1995, they had very poor maintenance records. And don't ever buy a used vehicle with any kind of forced induction unless you want to meticulously rebuild and replace every component in that engine bay. Anything less will more than likely end in tears for your pocket book.

Epilogue: It seems this great experiment was not without some fruits. The Ford Focus seems to be doing much better in the sport compact car market after the lessons Ford learned from the Probe GT.

I'm really gonna miss that car.

Last summer, I experienced a catastrophic loss of Zoom when my Ford Probe GT died on the 110. By the time I made it to the shoulder, popped open the hood, and took a frantic look-see, it had emptied all of its precious radiator fluid, like an old incontinent dog. Poor puppy.

Since then it's been to 4 mechanics. A thermostat was replaced. A radiator was replaced. A coolant reservoir tank was replaced. It no longer pisses coolant all over the place, but it's still got issues.

I want it fixed! But all of my so-called friends urge me to junk it and buy another car.

Get a Toyota, the sensible ones say. Weak. Toyota drivers vex me to no end; sometimes I wonder if that butt-ugly Prius in front of me is electronically limited to like 3 miles an hour. Shouting "step on the gas!" would be pointless, as the blonde upper-middle class dork behind the wheel would just stare blankly at me and mouth "what's a 'gas'?"

Get a Chevy, say the cool kids, the ones who drive like me. But these asinine Team Chevy "cheerleaders," these knuckle-dragging troglodytes, with their shiny rims and dual exhausts; these gangstas and wannabees are just not sexy at all. They make me want to fake my own death. I talk about my car and Camaro owners nationwide smirk collectively, "Dontcha know what FORD stands for? Found On the Road Dead (or Fix Or Repair Daily," or some variant that wasn't even funny the first 300 times), har har har. I understand Camaro appeal: floor the gas pedal, listen to that V8 roar, check out all the losers in your rear-view. Like illiterate Camaro owners, it's simple enough, but it's just not quite my style.

The Ford Probe GT, Motor Trend's car of the year in 1993, is a cute little rocket that drives with the finesse and agility of a fucking Porsche, for 1/5 the price. A set of Nexen tires grabs the road and doesn't let go, ever. On the freeway, turns get taken at 90 mph. Absolutely no exceptions, save than that SUV driver on his cellphone in front of me. Ya just can't corner like that in a Camaro.

And yes, the car takes off fast enough.... not like a V8, but it is quite a treat. You're gonna really feel it, however, when you shoot your tach up over 4000 rpms. The car surges forward as if being tugged by the inscrutable Hand of God. "Like a bat out of West Hades," mechanic #4 told me the other day.

My speedometer doesn't work, but honestly, what do you need silly frills like that for anyway? If I can't pace myself with traffic around me, I gauge my speed by listening to the rich, smooth hum of my MagnaFlow muffler. It sings with my tach like a saxophone by moonlight.

Lest you get the wrong idea, my Blue Bullet is by NO means a chick magnet. I've got an effed-up paint job and a suspension system only I know how to stomach. I'm the king of the hairpin curves, but I shall reign alone. There. Will. Be. No. Chicks. To distract me. Ever.

My inner Zoom wouldn't have it any other way.

Beatfreak, I'm here to agree with you:

Mazda is what holds the car together, but Ford truly helps out a lot more in the second generation. Ford being a company known for the Mustang, and the Mustang being known for its inability to round a corner, it surprises many that the Probe GT handles as well as it does. It shouldn't.

The fact that the Mustang, with its live rear axle, can handle even as well as it does, is indicative of Ford's capability at tuning suspension. When given a proper platform (In this case, the Mazda GE chassis.), their true brilliance shows.

The near-perfect power delivered by the Mazda KL-DE engine, with its massive torque (for the class), gives the Probe GT the ability to best all other 1990's-era sport compacts in a straight line, save the Integra GS and some varieties of Diamond Star Motors vehicles, although it is rather weak by today's standards.

However, it goes unchallenged in handling, even in a class that was known for its ability to take a corner at speed. With some fatter tires (Using the wheels from an American-specification RX-7 FD3, popularly known in the Probe community as "FD's", lightens the wheels by nearly ten pounds each, and adds an inch of width to the tires.) and a stiffer rear end, the car becomes unbeatable in a corner.

Truly a machine to be reckoned with, if I may say so myself.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.