The First Khandhaka Sections 56–60
Admission to the Order of Bhikkhus

The First Khandhaka is the first part of the Mahavagga.
The Mahavagga is the first part of the Khandhaka.
The Khandhaka is the second part of the Vinaya Pitaka ("Basket of Discipline").
The Vinaya Pitaka is the first part of the Tipitaka ("Three Baskets"), a.k.a. the Pali Canon.
The Tipitaka is the major religious text of Theravada Buddhism.

« Previous | Contents | Next »

The First Khandhaka (Pali for "Expositions") is quite a long piece (the longest of the four Khandhakas in the Mahavagga), divided into seventy-nine parts, containing stories concerning the origin of the rules of the Patimokkha by giving an account of what the Buddha did following his enlightenment. This excerpt contains some specifics about the pabbaggâ ordination and who may or may not receive it, as well as lesting the precepts to be followed by novices.

The text was translated by T. W. Rhys Davids and Hermann Oldenberg in 1881; the translation is in the public domain. It was taken from http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/sbe13/index.htm. Text in [square brackets] (and all pipelinks) was added and does not appear in the translation; text in (parentheses) does appear in the translation.


56

Now the novices thought: 'How many precepts [Sikkhâpadâni or "paths of training"] are there for us, and in what (precepts) are we to exercise ourselves?'

They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, ten precepts for the novices, and the exercise of the novices in these (ten precepts), viz. abstinence from destroying life; abstinence from stealing; abstinence from impurity; abstinence from lying; abstinence from arrack and strong drink and intoxicating liquors, which cause indifference (to religion); abstinence from eating at forbidden times; abstinence from dancing, singing, music, and seeing spectacles; abstinence from garlands, scents, unguents, ornaments, and finery; abstinence from (the use of) high or broad beds; abstinence from accepting gold or silver. I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, these ten precepts for the novices, and the exercise of the novices in these (ten precepts).'

57

1 At that time novices did not show reverence and confidence towards the Bhikkhus, and did not live in harmony with them. The Bhikkhus were annoyed, murmured, and became angry: 'How can the novices not show reverence and confidence towards the Bhikkhus, and not live in harmony with them?'

They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that you inflict punishment upon a novice in five cases: When he is intent on the Bhikkhus' receiving no alms; when he is intent on the Bhikkhus' meeting with misfortune; when he is intent on the Bhikkhus' finding no residence; when he abuses and reviles the Bhikkhus; when he causes divisions between Bhikkhus and Bhikkhus. I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that in these five cases you inflict punishment upon a novice.'

2 Now the Bhikkhus thought: 'What punishment are we to inflict?'

They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that you forbid them (certain places, for instance, their own residences).'

At that time Bhikkhus forbade novices the whole Sanghârâma. The novices, who were not admitted to the Sanghârâma, went away, or retumed to the world, or went over to Titthiya schools.

They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'Let them not, O Bhikkhus, forbid (novices) the whole Sanghârâma. He who does so, commits a dukkata offence. I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that (the Bhikkhus) forbid (a novice) the place where he lives or which he uses to frequent.'

3 At that time Bhikkhus forbad the novices the use of (certain kinds of) food that is taken with the mouth. People, when they prepared rice-milk to drink or meals for the Sangha, said to the novices:

'Come, reverend Sirs, drink rice-milk; come, reverend Sirs, take food.' The novices replied: 'It is impossible, friends; the Bhikkhus have issued a forewarning (against us).' The people were annoyed, murmured, and became angry, thinking: 'How can their reverences forbid novices the use of all food that is taken with the mouth?'

They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'Let them not, O Bhikkhus, forbid (novices) food that is taken with the mouth. He who does so, commits a dukkata offence.'

End of the section about punishment (of novices).

58

At that time the Khabbaggiya Bhikkhus [an antagonistic group of monks who appear throughout the remainder of the Vinaya Pitaka] laid a ban upon novices without the consent of the upagghâyas (of those novices). The upagghâyas searched after them, thinking: 'How is it that our novices have disappeared?' The Bhikkhus said: 'The Khabbaggiya Bhikkhus, friends, have laid a ban upon them.' The upagghâyas were annoyed, &c.: 'How can the Khabbaggiya Bhikkhus lay a ban upon our novices without having obtained our consent?'

They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'Let no one, O Bhikkhus, lay a ban (upon novices) without consent of the upagghâyas. He who does, commits a dukkata offence.'

59

At that time the Khabbaggiya Bhikkhus drew the novices of senior Bhikkhus over (to themselves). The Theras, who were obliged to get themselves teeth-cleansers and water to rinse their mouths with, became tired.

They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'Let no one, O Bhikkhus, draw the followers of another Bhikkhu over to himself. He who does, commits a dukkata offence.'

60

At that time a novice, Kandaka by name, who was a follower of the venerable Upananda Sakyaputto, had sexual intercourse with a Bhikkhunî, Kandakâ by name. The Bhikkhus were annoyed, &c.: 'How can a novice abandon himself to such conduct?'

They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that you expel a novice (from the fraternity) in the following ten cases: When he destroys life; when he commits theft; when he commits impurity; when he is a liar; when he drinks strong drinks; when he speaks against the Buddha; when he speaks against the Dhamma; when he speaks against the Sangha; when he holds false doctrines; when he has sexual intercourse with Bhikkhunîs. In these ten cases I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that you expel the novice (from the fraternity).'

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.