FILBERT BALLS

Dedicated to an unnamed user as a "Thank You" for a comment he sent me on one of my writeups. The nut preparation is all in jest (really!) but it is the easiest way to crack and prepare the filberts.

  • 1-1/2 cups filbert nutmeat (220 grams)
  • 1 cup sifted flour (110 grams)
  • 1/4 tsp salt (1.2 grams)
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened (120 grams)
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar (25 grams)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
  • Powdered sugar, to coat

First prepare the nuts. Filberts have very hard shells and can be difficult to crack. I’ve found the best way is to place the filberts in a sealable plastic bag and strike them quite smartly with a hammer. Remove the shells. Next you must remove the brown, papery skin from the Filberts. Spread the nutmeats in a shallow pan and roast in 325 F. oven until lightly toasted. Briskly rub the filberts with rough toweling until most of the skin is removed. When cooled, place the filberts in a food chopper or blender and process the nutmeats to a very fine consistency.

Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.  Line cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper.

Combine the filberts with flour and salt and set aside.  Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together. Add flour mixture and stir until combined.  Refrigerate dough at least one-half hour.  Form dough into 1-inch balls and place one inch apart on cookie sheet.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until set but not brown.  Cool partially on wire rack and roll in powdered sugar while still warm.  Re-roll in sugar just before serving.  Best enjoyed when served with tea. Makes 24.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.