A meal that is fairly easy to prepare and is completely healthy AND vegetarian.

Includes:
Fettuccine with Black Olive Pesto
Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with Vinaigrette



Fettuccine with Black Olive Pesto and Scallions

to be perfecly honest, I make this recipe wihout onions (I'm allergic), but I hear it's wonderful with them, too

Ingredients

    1 or 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 tablespoons chopped onion
    2 tablespoons copped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon fresh tyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    One 9-once can pitted black olives (pluse 3 tablespoons black olive brine)
    1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    10 onces spaghetti or fettuccine
    Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
    Grated zest of 1 medium lemon
    4 large scallions
1. Set a large pot of lightly salted water on high heat to come to a full rolling boil.

2. In a food processor with a steel blade, finely mince the jalapenos, garlic, and onion. Add parsley, thyme, olives and brine, vinegar, and oil to the garlic mixture, pulse three or four times to coarsely chop olives and combine ingredients. Set aside.

3. Drop fettuccine into bioling water and cook rapidly according to package directions until al dente. Set a large colander into a large serving dish and place both in the sink. Pour the pasta into the colander, automatically warming the serving dish while at the same time draining the pasta.

4. Discard cooking water. Dry underside of dish with towel, and fill it with fettuccine. Top with pesto sauce, six to eight grinds of fresh pepper, and salt to taste. Scatter lemon zest and sliced scallions over top.

Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with Viaigrette

Ingredients

4 large plum tomatoes
8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
6 large fresh basil leaves, thiny sliced
Low-fat vinaigrette or oil and vinegar salad dressing.

1. Stand tomatoes, core down, on cutting board, and make vertical 1/4 inch slices, stopping just short of the core. Gently press each onthe side to open into a fan. Place one large or two small fans on each of 4 salad plates. Stick a slice of cheese between each tomato slice.
2. Scatter basil over each salad, and drizzle with dressing. Serve at once.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.