A book review:

"Feeding and Swallowing Disorders in Infancy: Assessment and Management" 1992 by Lynn S. Wolf, Mot, OTR, and Robin P. Glass, MS, OTR Foreword by James Bosma, M.D. Published by Therapy Skill Builders

This book is no easy read but well worth the study time. The authors are both Pediatric Occupational Therapists who have specialized in infant feeding disorders.

Material covered includes: (by chapter title)
1) Functional anatomy and physiology of the suck/swallow/breathe triad
2) Diagnostic Tests and Procedures
3) Clinical Feeding Evaluation
4) Problem-Driven Models for Comprehensive Multidisciplinary Assessment of Infant Feeding
5) Therapeutic Treatment strategies for Infant Feeding Dysfunction
6) Special Diagnostic Categories
7) Tools of the Trade: Nipples, Pacifiers, and Bottles 8) Breastfeeding

Strengths and Weaknesses:
This book has become indispensable to me in understanding the feeding issues of babies with problems like prematurity, reflux, heart disease, fistulas, and oral-facial abnormalities. The authors have in recent years added Lactation Consultant to their credentials. In their current workshops their knowledge of normal breastfeeding shines through but the textbook is still mired in the false assumption that breastfeeding can be dealt with as an add on chapter at the end. A new edition reflecting breastfeeding throughout the book is needed. Until then one must be able to digest the material and extrapolate the breastfeeding aspects for oneself.

This book is appropriate for all lactation consultants, and physicians, nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and speech therapists who work with children. Those without a strong anatomy and physiology background would probably want to invest some time in that subject matter before attempting this book.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.