It was a busy day. First, I had to drive to Clovis and buy a whole bunch of Sunday newspapers so I could see the final "Peanuts" cartoon. Then I sat in front of the TV all evening, watching Maude Flanders get killed off on "The Simpsons" and stayed up late (well, late for me) to watch the "Homicide: Life on the Street" TV movie.

All in all, it was a stressful, death-oriented day -- I got word of the deaths of Charles M. Schulz, Tom Landry, Maude Flanders, and Al Giardello.

I said I wasn't going to do it, but I did, after all. Since the SCSI card for my old Umax scanner seems to be shot, and I haven't had the patience to research a replacement, but I have a USB scanner (also Umax) and NT doesn't do USB, I setup a Win95 partition on my previously NT-only box. Driver configs went smoothly until I got to the modem; after a couple of hours of puzzling, I deduced that the newly-enabled USB was nabbing the IRQ that the modem wanted. OK, not too big a deal, I'll just disable the USB again until I get the modem config'd in Win95. OK, all set, I'm installing the USB scanner drivers, but what's wrong? Surprise! The first few versions of Win95 don't do USB either! I need OSR2, and I don't have it! What pains me most is I knew that as of mid-1999, somehow between then and now it snuck away from me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.