First album from Seattle grunge-metallers, Alice In Chains, released in 1990. Nirvana's Nevermind didn't bring grunge into the mainstream until a year later, so Facelift was marketed as a heavy metal album. The band's image and style at the time were a strange fusion of hair metal and grunge which was actually quite original (and remains fairly unique, as their sound on this album has not been widely imitated).

Tracklist:

  1. We Die Young
  2. Man in the Box
  3. Sea of Sorrow
  4. Bleed the Freak
  5. I Can't Remember
  6. Love, Hate, Love
  7. It Ain't Like That
  8. Sunshine
  9. Put You Down
  10. Confusion
  11. I Know Somethin' (Bout You)
  12. Real Thing

Man in the Box was the big hit from the album, with the video gaining extensive airplay on MTV. We Die Young and Sea of Sorrow were also released as singles. Aside from those three tunes, fan favourites include Bleed the Freak, It Ain't Like That, and Sunshine. Jerry Cantrell still plays Man in the Box and It Ain't Like That occasionally in his live sets. They will never sound quite the same without Layne though...

Noun.

1. Rhytidectomy; a surgical procedure for making the face appear younger.

The normal human aging process includes loss of fat and muscle tone, skin elasticity, and tautness of skin in the face. Droopiness of the face and wrinkles are the effect of heredity, sun, gravity, and personal habits (such as smoking). Some persons over the age of 40 who wish to appear younger choose to undergo elective cosmetic surgery to counteract these signs of aging. A facelift is typically an outpatient surgery.

Q: If a surgeon removes wrinkles and jowls, why is it called "lifting?"
A: Place the tips of your fingers along your cheekbone, ears, and neck. Lift the cheek and neck upward and back. The wrinkles and jowls disappear as you "lift." Now make (or imagine making) an incision along the hairline and continue down in front of the ear, then go under the ear then then back upwards. Pull that skin up and off the underlying tissue. Tighten the muscles and fascia as necessary by tying off with sutures. Now pull that skin just as you did in the lift so that the wrinkles disappear. Suture and or staple in place. Trim away excess skin. Drain wounds. Wait for the bruising and swelling to subside. Cover up scars with cosmetics and hairline. Stay out of the sun for a couple of months.

This should last you about 10 years.

Side effects:
Men will have to shave behind the ears, as beard-growing skin is repositioned back there.

2. Any improvement in appearance. "A fresh coat of paint will give your house a facelift."

3. the complete surgical package of cosmetic surgery for making the face appear younger.

If you, in consultation with your surgeon, have opted for a necklift, blepharoplasty, facial liposuction, autologous fat injection, removal of buccal fat pads, forehead lift, browlift, chemical or laser peel, and malar or chin implants, in addition to the rhytidectomy, you may find it easier to say "facelift" than recite the entire list.

4. Any non-surgical technique that make the face appear younger, e.g. "this skin conditioner provides a natural facelift."

American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. "Understanding Rhytidectomy." American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Web Site. 2000. <http://www.facial-plastic-surgery.org/patient/procedures/rhytidectomy.html> (16 June 2003)
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, "Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Procedures at a Glance." American Society of Plastic Surgeons Web Site. 2003. <http://www.plasticsurgery.org/public_education/procedures/CosmeticPlasticSurgery.cfm> (16 June 2003)
Kabaker, Sheldon S. "Is It Time for a Facelift?" Sheldon S. Kabaker, M.D., F.A.C.S. Professional Web Site. 3 November 2002. <http://www.facial-plastic-surgery.us/facelift.html> (16 June 2003)
"Facelift Surgery." MedicineNet.com15 April 2002. <http://www.medicinenet.com/Face_Lift/article.htm> (16 June 2003)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.