1. What is your name?

Grace, tho the people I love call me Gracie.

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

I'm just a small town girl, living in a lonely world. I took the midnight train going anywhere.

While you try and get that song out of your head, I'll be brief - I'm just another girl who likes to string words together. I found a site that let me do so, for a time. Nowadays I still lurk, but don't contribute like I did. I feel empty. I've been up to my ears in life sort of things. My health hasn't been the greatest as those people I know and trust are aware. I still like to string words together, now and again, but the stories I've been spewing out would make the devil blush. And I've always said I would never put here anything I wouldn't want my mother to see. Except maybe this.

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

The term "noder" has always seemed strange to me. Huh. Beltane introduced me to this site. I think he found the link from stile project. Those of us old enough to remember, remember what a nightmare it was when stile projectians discovered everything. Don't believe me? Ask dannye sometime. Anyway, he pointed the site out to me knowing that I have a serious hard-on for words and stories. I believe my first contribution here is long gone, but from moment one, I was hooked. Then when you factor in all the lovely quirky people who resided in this here box, it was hard not to pull away. I'm sure there are new lovely quirky people, but I don't recognize half of you anymore. I realize this is my own fault. 

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

Good god, if I wrote them all down this would be a very long list. Check my C!'s and bookmarks, kids. That should paint the picture for you. I should no sooner choose a favourite star in the sky than pick a favorite write-up from those. They are all dazzling. As for my own... hmm. Probably this one.

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

Favourite memories include staying up till all hours having ridiculous conversations with like-minded (and not-so-like-minded) people, discovering new write-ups like precious diamonds from nowhere, developing friendships that have somehow managed to last beyond this place. It took me quite by surprise as I did not expect to. Not at all. In spite of appearances I am a rather quiet person. I've also had audiences with a few lovely noders. I've talked to more on the phone. I've laughed and cried with you. I can never forget this.

Least favourite - hmm. The civil wars. The misrepresentation of 'raising the bar'. 9/11. Hermetic. When things suddenly got serious and people started leaving and what the hell happened. It's like that party that is great fun and then... suddenly it isn't and people are gone? And you wonder why, but there is no taking it back, no returning to that moment when it was fun. 

6. What keeps you coming back?

I have been mulling this over for some time now. The truth is, I don't know. A sense of loyalty, of pride in being part of something like this? I think it's the people, really, though I don't contact them as often here (most of them I contact elsewhere, as you know). I still read things that intrigue me. I think it's great that people still contribute. I want them to continue. 

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

That it doesn't just end up dying, an old server somewhere coughing up dust bunnies and no longer functioning. There is a pang in my heart whenever I think of that. I hope people keep contributing, keep exchanging ideas, meet minds. (And bodies, I guess?)

8. What does E2 mean to you?

I don't really know how to answer this. Maybe if you asked me a decade ago, I'd have a more concise answer. What are you looking for here? How do I define it? It's a site, full of writing, with writers. Sometimes these writers interact and develop bonds. Sometimes they don't. 

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

I can't really say I "miss" someone if I am still in contact with them. Which I make a point of doing, even if it is only once every couple of months or weeks - I have the ability to contact them and do. As for favorites - heh. Always a tricky one to answer as I don't want anyone feeling I have left them out. Let's just say, they know who they are and that I love them dearly.

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

Jet-Poop.

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

Pie. some people LOVE it, some people think it's ok, the rest can't be bothered, and some have never heard of it.

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

You could have asked me anything other than what was on this form. I'm giving you a shot at that right now. Go on, then. Ask.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact graceness or Jet-Poop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.