1. What is your name?

Greg Clarke. Or, depending upon who you talk to, Skippy, Sir, Dirty, Lieutenant Clarke.

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

I'm a Canadian, born in British Columbia, but Alberta raised. When I joined E2 I was in the midst of getting my Mechanical Engineering degree from the University of Calgary. When I graduated, I joined the Canadian Armed Forces, as a Naval Combat Systems Engineering Officer. I'm currently living in Victoria, BC. I'm currently working on Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Winnipeg, however I'm due to be posted to the Base Information Services organization within the month.

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

That, my good man, is a mystery that shall forever be lost to the mists of time. Probably via slashdot.

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

From others? Let's see. Other things nobody tells you about the south pole (and everything else that man writes). tbbk's deadpan in Hotel always cracks me up. Chess etiquette. Two stories of the pistol. domination techniques. As a matter of fact I did invent the Internet.

From myself? Canada. Terry Fox. Annealing. Data. The Tragically Hip. And liquid nitrogen (Which, I'm not going to lie, I only really wrote with the hopes of seeing a message from Cool Man Eddie one day stating "Yo, the entire node liquid nitrogen was editor cooled. You have a writeup in there; your reward is knowing you're cooler than liquid nitrogen." Alas, it didn't happen.)

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

I think some of the most actual fun I've had on this side was my participation in the Everything Noder Pageant 2003. That was awesome. Working with The Content Rescue Team : List was fun too.

Least favorite? I don't really have any bad memories of E2. Unfortunately, just memories of it becoming less important to me, and then it eventually not being my home page anymore.

Actually, scratch that. Least favorite E2 memory is September 10, 2001. That was a bad week for pretty much everyone.

6. What keeps you coming back?

The people. E2 is an awesome community. Most of the other places I'm spending my time recently don't have that homey feel.

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

I hope we're able to focus on what we're great at and not lament what we're not. We've for the most part lost the "factual noding" war to Wikipedia. There's a lot else we can do though.

8. What does E2 mean to you?

E2 means nostalgia to me. I "don't have time" to be an active noder anymore, but really, I was a boring factual noder for the most part. Which, as I mentioned above, we've mostly been made redundant in. That having been said, E2 is where I developed most of my writing skills. This has proven to be valuable.

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

Angela. wertperch. LaggedyAnne. iceowl. androjen. panamaus. NinjaPenguin SharQ. Various others. I miss bewilderbeast. And sensei. And paraclete.

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

I've been accused of resembling Neil Cavuto too much. I disagree. Probably Steve Carell if we could make him a decade younger. Also, why the hell does Neil Cavuto have a writeup, but Steve Carell's node is empty? ಠ_ಠ

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

Galapagos Islands. A nice place to visit, and some rather important things happened there in the past.

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

Not really.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact Palpz or Jet-Poop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.