The Everything Quests: The Nobel Prize winners

Is Now a W r a p !!


For all those who submitted enteries thank you - this turned out better than I'd hoped for and your contributions exceeded my expectations!!

Did you miss the deadline for this quest? Or find out about it too late? Feel free to /msg me with your comprehensive Nobel Prize winner node when you do get it done and I'll add it to the honorable mention section below!

Orignal quest specifications are saved for historical purposes at the end of this node.


T H E    S U B M I S S I O N S


kthejoker says: re The Nobel Prize winners: Clinton Davisson done.

Clinton Davisson

Clinton Davisson is known as the first person to observe wave motion in electrons. The recipient of the 1937 Nobel Prize for Physics, and pretty much the forefather of modern crystal physics...(more)

BlakJak says: Well, I've posted my writeup Arthur Henderson. This is not just my first quest submission, but also my first (person) writeup. I hope you like it.

Arthur Henderson

Arthur was awarded the Nobel Price in Peace, for his determined and steadfast pursuit of sanity between nations in the face of extreme adversity...(more)

kthejoker says: re The Nobel Prize winners: and now Wendell Meredith Stanley, too.

Wendell Meredith Stanley

If you've ever had a flu vaccine, dodged hepatitis, or eaten fresh farm produce, be thankful for Doc Wendell...(more)

Trina says: Please accept Theodor Mommsen He won the Literature prize in 1903.

Theodor Mommsen

1902 was the year Mommsen was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, for being "the greatest living master of the art of historical writing, with special reference to his monumental work, A History of Rome."...(more)

skongshoj says: Fredrik Bajer's done. Enjoy!

Fredrik Bajer

Imagine arbitration, discussion and negotiation replacing warfare as the primary means of settling differences and disputes between nations...(more)

drownzsurf says: I finished Leopold Ruzicka for your quest.

Leopold Ruzicka

By 1911 with a couple of years solid research behind him, Doctor Staudinger appointed Ruzicker his assistant. It was at this time they entered the new territory (a discipline-wide frontier) of the exploration of pyrethrins...(more)

skongshoj says: One Johannes Fibiger for your reading pleasure

Johannes Fibiger

Johannes Fibiger's main contribution to science, and indeed to humanity, was his groundbreaking discovery that cancer could be caused by external influence...(more)

hotthamir says: Ahmed Zewail completed for The Nobel Prize winners quest.

Ahmed Zewail

He recieved many awards and honors from all over the world for his pioneering work on molecular spectroscopy by femtosecond precession...(more)

skongshoj says: Andrei Sakharov is done. This became a long writeup, but his story is quite complicated.

Andrei Sakharov

He was a vocal human rights advocate, had been described as a "spokesman for the conscience of mankind". He also happened to be the man who invented the Soviet hydrogen bomb...(more)

DoctorX says: I posted my writeup on Camillo Golgi for the Nobels

Camillo Golgi

When Golgi began his work, scientists knew that many tissues were made of cells, but they didn't know whether nervous tissue (the tissue that makes up the brain, spinal cord, and nerves) was made of cells or not....(more)

typo says: I made a writeup on the 1989 winner of Nobel peace prize: 14th Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso

Tenzin Gyatso

The 14th Dalai Lama's teachings are very clear and simple - just the way to be expected of a humble buddhist monk - he teaches of the fundamental rights of all beings, of love and compassion, of empathy and kindness. ...(more)

jwfxpr says: Frédéric Joliot-Curie is up. Hope it's worthy, as it's only my third writeup ever... :)

Frédéric Joliot-Curie

Frédéric Joliot-Curie was much more than just a leading member of one of chemistry's greatest dynasties. A person of strong personal and ethical conviction, Joliot played an important role in the French resistance movement during Nazi occupation ...(more)

Fortunado says: Carl Spitteler is done.

Carl Spitteler

Carl Spitteler was a Swiss poet who possessed an incredible, visionary, imagination. He composed pessimistic, yet inherently heroic epic poetry. He created his own metrical scheme that is unique to his verse ...(more)

bookw56 says: Mother Teresa: finally done for the quest! Really good quest idea, by the way.

Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa (1910-1997) is an amazing example of how one person, when sufficiently motivated, can change the world. Mother, as she is affectionately known, went from being a nun living in the slums of Calcutta to the unofficial patroness of humanity's most destitute. ...(more)

DoctorX says: Victor Grignard is ready. Enjoy.

Victor Grignard

Victor Grignard was the inventor of the Grignard Reagent that is one of the first reactions learned by any student of organic chemistry, and is very useful for combining two organic molecules ...(more)

turkeyphant says: I'm all done on Pavel Cherenkov. I hope it's good enough - although I had to dig quite deep, it's given me lots of noding ideas...

Pavel Cherenkov

The Cherenkov effect is invaluable in today's modern nuclear and particle physics - it is used in the study of subatomic particles and cosmic rays as well as being very important in managing nuclear power stations...(more)

atriumjake says: Please dig on Henryk Sienkiewicz for your Nobel Prize Quest. Thank you.

Henryk Sienkiewicz

Henryk Sienkiewicz was a great inspiration to the people of Poland. He was always conscious of Poland's cultural oppression, and sought to do as much as he could to help out his fellow man...(more)

drownzsurf says: I submitted the United Nations wu for your quest.

United Nations

The 2001's Nobel Peace Prize equally with the United Nations, and its Secretary-General, Kofi Annan for its travail in gathering the Nations for peace. This committee had been working for a century in this great cause; and it was fitting that the award was given to the UN for the first time on its centenary anniversary...(more)

atriumjake says: I give you Pär Lagerkvist as my second submission for your quest. Enjoy!

Pär Lagerkvist

Pär Lagerkvist helped to smash down traditional forms of writing and introduce poetic modernism into Sweden. With his writing he often explored the question of good and evil, partly through using figures of Christianity without necessarily following the doctrines of the Church. ...(more)

solaraddict says: Jaroslav Heyrovsky is up.

Jaroslav Heyrovsky

It does not happen very often for a scientist to find his life-long field of study, let alone receive the Nobel Prize for it, during a final exam. Jaroslav Heyrovský certainly was the exception to this rule by discovering polarography...(more)

atriumjake says: For my last submission to your Quest I give you Frans Eemil Sillanpää. Use him well.

Frans Eemil Sillanpää

Frans Eemil Sillanpää was a Finish writer. Drawing greatly from scientific laws regarding the physical harmony with of world, his works deal deeply with nature, and the common farmers ties with his land...(more)

Posmella says: Against all odds, I've managed to finish Elie Wiesel for the quest, and am handing it in for inspection. Thanks! :o) (and also, thanks for doing the quest)

Elie Wiesel

The focus of Wiesel's life's work - to speak out about injustice when others remain silent: "...to remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all..." ...(more)

peanut says: After much procrastination, Michael Smith is up. Thanks for the quest!

Michael Smith

Smith created a molecular biology technique known as site-directed mutagenesis. This technique lets a scientist create specific mutations in an organism such as bacteria, plants, and animals, by precisely altering the base pairs that make up its DNA....(more)

oakling says: ok alva myrdal has kicked my ass for (hopefully) the last time

Alva Myrdal

Alva Myrdal was literally a social engineer, or at least a social architect. Like Charlotte Perkins Gilman and other early feminists, she held a view of "material feminism" in which people's environments could be improved to change their lives....(more)
caknuck says: Irving Langmuir is done. Exc. job on the Quest!

Irving Langmuir

While working with incandescent lamps, Langmuir also made significant advances to the vacuum tube and vacuum pumps, work whose merit would only be recognized several decades later....(more)

Osmosis says: my deadline-scraping Cordell Hull writeup is now done. Whew. Thanks for doing the quest; I really enjoyed writing this piece.

Cordell Hull

His belief that dialogue and common ideals and goals could seed peace and understanding between nations led to his greatest achievement - his role in the setting up of the UN. This role was so pivotal, FDR dubbed him "the Father of the United Nations." ...(more)

Gartogg says: I did my Yasser Arafat node. Hope you like it

Yasser Arafat

As the leader of the Palestinian people, he assumed a new role as their protector in the UN and the first leader to actually talk to the Israeli's to try to win concessions. ...(more)

McCart42 says: whew! Just made it. Edward Mills Purcell.

Edward M. Purcell

Edward M. Purcell's life shines as an example of the good one man can bring to humanity through his research. The applications of the technologies he pioneered remain in use today in many forms: the MRI and radio astronomy both owe a lot to his discovery of nuclear magnetic resonance, or NMR....(more)

oakling says: i did it!!!!

Alfonso García Robles

He continued to work with the United Nations toward worldwide disarmament, representing his country during the negotiations in Geneva and in the special UNO disarmament sessions begun in 1978...(more)


Below is an incomplete list of Nobel Prize winners - most of whom have yet to be noded. All the ones not listed as comprehensive could use comprehensive writeups.

Nobel Prize In Chemistry

1901 Jacobus Henricus van 't Hoff
1902 Emil Fischer - detailed node by LadySun
1903 Svante Arrhenius
1904 Sir William Ramsay
1905 Adolf von Baeyer
1906 Henri Moissan
1907 Eduard Buchner
1908 Ernest Rutherford - comprehensive node by Posmella
1909 Wilhelm Ostwald
1910 Otto Wallach
1911 Marie Curie - extensive node by Tem42
1912 Victor Grignard
1912 Paul Sabatier
1913 Alfred Werner
1914 Theodore Williams Richards
1915 Richard Martin Willstatter
1918 Fritz Haber - detailed node by Cloony
1920 Walther Nernst
1921 Frederick Soddy
1922 Francis William Aston
1923 Fritz Pregl
1925 Richard Zsigmondy
1926 Theodor Svedberg
1927 Heinrich Otto Wieland
1928 Adolf Otto Reinhold Windaus
1929 Sir Arthur Harden
1929 Hans von Euler-Chelpin
1930 Hans Fischer
1931 Carl Bosch - noded by umquam
1931 Friedrich Bergius
1932 Irving Langmuir- comprehensive node by caknuck
1934 Harold Clayton Urey
1935 Irène Joliot-Curie - noded by bigmouth_strikes
1935 Frédéric Joliot-Curie- comprehensive node by jwfxpr (quest)
1936 Petrus Josephus Wilhelmus Debye
1937 Sir Walter Norman Haworth
1937 Paul Karrer
1938 Richard Kuhn
1939 Adolf Butenandt
1939 Leopold Ruzicka
1943 George de Hevesy
1944 Otto Hahn - comprehensive node by dido
1945 Artturi Ilmari Virtanen
1946 John Howard Northrop
1946 Wendell Meredith Stanley - comprehensive node by kthejoker (quest)
1946 James Batcheller Sumner
1947 Sir Robert Robinson
1948 Arne Wilhelm Kaurin Tiselius
1949 William Francis Giauque
1950 Otto Diels
1950 Kurt Alder
1951 Edwin Mattison McMillan
1952 Glenn Seaborg
1952 Richard Synge
1953 Hermann Staudinger
1954 Linus Pauling - brief node by CrazyIvan
1955 Vincent du Vigneaud
1956 Sir Cyril Norman Hinshelwood
1956 Nikolay Nikolaevich Semenov
1957 Lord Alexander R. Todd
1958 Frederick Sanger - brief node by CrazyIvan
1959 Jaroslav Heyrovsky
1960 Willard Libby
1961 Melvin Calvin
1962 Max Perutz
1962 Sir John Cowdery Kendrew
1963 Karl Ziegler
1964 Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin
1965 Robert Burns Woodward
1966 Robert S. Mulliken
1967 Ronald Norrish
1967 Lord George Porter
1967 Manfred Eigen
1968 Lars Onsager
1969 Sir Derek Barton
1969 Odd Hassel
1970 Luis Leloir
1971 Gerhard Herzberg
1972 Christian Anfinsen
1972 Stanford Moore
1972 William Stein
1973 Ernst Otto Fischer
1973 Geoffrey Wilkinson
1974 Paul Flory
1975 John Warcup Cornforth
1975 Vladimir Prelog
1976 William Lipscomb
1977 Ilya Prigogine
1978 Peter Mitchell
1979 Herbert C. Brown
1979 Georg Wittig
1980 Paul Berg
1980 Walter Gilbert-brief node by biotech
1980 Frederick Sanger - brief node by crazyivan
1981 Kenichi Fukui
1981 Roald Hoffman
1982 Aaron Klug
1983 Henry Taube
1984 Bruce Merrifield
1985 Herbert Hauptman
1985 Jerome Karle
1986 Dudley R. Herschbach
1986 Yuan T. Lee
1986 John C. Polanyi
1987 Donald J. Cram
1987 Jean-Marie Lehn
1987 Charles J. Pedersen
1988 Johann Deisenhofer
1988 Robert Huber
1988 Hartmut Michel
1989 Sidney Altman
1989 Thomas R. Cech
1990 Elias J. Corey
1991 Richard R. Ernst
1992 Rudolph A. Marcus
1993 Kary B. Mullis comprehensive node by LadySun
1993 Michael Smith
1994 George A. Olah
1995 Paul Crutzen
1995 Mario Molina
1995 Sherwood Rowland
1996 Robert F. Curl, Jr.
1996 Sir Harold W. Kroto
1996 Richard E. Smalley
1997 Paul D. Boyer - brief node by Halcyon&on
1997 John E. Walker - brief node by Halcyon&on
1997 Jens C. Skou
1998 Walter Kohn - brief node by Halcyon&on
1998 John Pople - brief node by Halcyon&on
1999 Ahmed Zewail - comprehensive node by hotthamir (quest)
2000 Alan J. Heeger
2000 Alan G. MacDiarmid
2000 Hideki Shirakawa
2001 William S. Knowles
2001 Ryoji Noyori
2001 K. Barry Sharpless
2002 John B. Fenn
2002 Koichi Tanaka
2002 Kurt Wüthrich

Nobel Prize In Peace

1901 Jean Henri Dunant
1901 Frédéric Passy
1902 Élie Ducommun - noded by Void ptr
1902 Charles Albert Gobat
1903 Sir William Randal Cremer
1906 Theodore Roosevelt- detailed nodes by a few
1907 Louis Renault
1907 Ernesto Teodoro Moneta
1908 Fredrik Bajer
1908 Klas Pontus Arnoldson
1921 Hjalmar Branting
1922 Fridtjof Nansen - comprehensive node by Anthropod
1925 Charles G. Dawes - comprehensive node by Wiccanpiper
1925 Sir Austen Chamberlain
1926 Gustav Stresemann - noded by Schmik
1926 Aristide Briand - detailed node by lontjr
1927 Ludwig Quidde
1927 Ferdinand Buisson
1929 Frank B. Kellogg
1930 Nathan Söderblom
1931 Nicholas Murray Butler - comprehensive node by Gamaliel
1931 Jane Addams - detailed node by SophiesCat
1933 Sir Norman Angell
1934 Arthur Henderson - comprehensive node by BlakJak (quest)
1935 Carl von Ossietzky - detailed node by fb10101
1936 Carlos Saavedra Lamas
1937 Robert Cecil
1945 Cordell Hull- comprehensive node by Osmosis(quest)
1946 Emily Greene Balch
1946 John R. Mott
1949 Lord Boyd Orr
1950 Ralph Bunche - comprehensive node by borgo
1951 Léon Jouhaux
1952 Albert Schweitzer - noded by Pedro
1953 George C. Marshall - comprehensivech node by ophie
1957 Lester B. Pearson - comprehensive node by irRationalist
1958 Georges Pire
1959 Philip Noel-Baker
1960 Albert John Lutuli
1961 Dag Hammarskjold - comprehensive node by tusitala
1962 Linus Pauling - brief node by CrazyIvan
1964 Martin Luther King Jr. - comprehensive node by novasoy
1968 René Cassin
1970 Norman Borlaug - noded by kessenich
1971 Willy Brandt - comprehensive node by Apatrix
1973 Henry Kissinger - detailed nodes by pimephalis and RubenAzarja
1973 Le Duc Tho - noded by Sekicho
1974 Seán MacBride
1974 Sato Eisaku
1975 Andrei Sakharov - comprehensive node by skongshoj (quest)
1976 Betty Williams
1976 Mairead Corrigan
1977 Amnesty International - comprehensive node by sloebertje
1978 Anwar Sadat - comprehensive node by borgo
1978 Menachem Begin - comprehensive node by lara68
1979 Mother Teresa - comprehensive node by bookw56 (quest)
1980 Adolfo Pérez Esquivel
1981 Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
1982 Alva Myrdal
1982 Alfonso García Robles- comprehensive node by oakling (quest)
1983 Lech Walesa - noded by BlueDragon
1984 Desmond Tutu - comprehensive node by StrawberryFrog
1985 International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
1986 Elie Wiesel - detailed node by Maayan
1987 Oscar Arias Sánchez
1988 United Nations Peacekeeping Forces
1989 Tenzin Gyatso - comprehensive node by typo
1990 Mikhail Gorbachev - comprehensive node by person
1991 Aung San Suu Kyi - detailed node by amiawakeyet
1992 Rigoberta Menchú - noded by eldritch
1993 Nelson Mandela - noded by StrawberryFrog
1993 F.W. de Klerk
1994 Yasser Arafat - comprehensive node by vapour
1994 Shimon Peres - noded by footprints
1994 Itzhak Rabin - detailed node by footprints
1995 Joseph Rotblat
1995 Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs
1996 Carlos Belo - brief node by Txikwa
1996 José Ramos-Horta
1997 International Campaign to Ban Landmines - noded by consumagenerica
1997 Jody Williams
1998 John Hume - brief node by ryano
1998 David Trimble
1999 Médecins Sans Frontières - comprehensive node by Teiresias
2000 Kim Dae Jung - comprehensive node by _chaotic_
2001 United Nations - brief nodes by a few
2001 Kofi Annan - detailed node by Apatrix
2002 Jimmy Carter - detailed nodes by a few

Nobel Prize In Physics

1901 Wilhelm Röntgen - brief nodes by several
1902 Hendrik A. Lorentz - brief node by PhysicsChic
1903 Marie Curie - extensive nodes by Sapia and Tem42
1903 Pierre Curie- brief nodes by a few
1903 Antoine Henri Becquerel - noded by PhysicsChic
1904 Lord Rayleigh - noded by dido
1905 Philipp Eduard Anton von Lenard - brief node by PhysicsChic
1906 Sir Joseph John Thomson- brief node by PhysicsChic
1907 Albert Abraham Michelson - noded by PhysicsChic
1908 Gabriel Lippman - noded by PhysicsChic
1909 Guglielmo Marconi - noded by PhysicsChic
1909 Carl Ferdinand Braun - noded by PhysicsChic
1910 Johannes van der Waals- noded by bigmouth_strikes
1911 Wilhelm Wien - brief node by PhysicsChic
1912 Nils Gustaf Dalén - noded by PhysicsChic
1913 Heike Kamerlingh-Onnes - noded by PhysicsChic
1914 Max von Laue - noded by PhysicsChic and montecarlo
1915 William Henry Bragg - brief node by PhysicsChic
1915 William Lawrence Bragg - brief node by PhysicsChic
1917 Charles Glover Barkla - brief node by PhysicsChic
1918 Max Planck - brief nodes by bigmouth_strikes and metafist
1919 Johannes Stark - brief node by PhysicsChic
1920 Charles Edouard Guillaume - noded by PhysicsChic
1921 Albert Einstein - detailed node by Jet-Poop
1922 Niels Bohr - comprehensive node by Imprecation
1923 Robert Andrews Millikan - noded by PhysicsChic
1924 Karl Siegbahn
1925 James Franck
1925 Gustav Ludwig Hertz
1926 Jean Baptiste Perrin
1927 Arthur Holly Compton
1927 Charles Thomson Rees Wilson
1928 Sir Owen Willans Richardson
1929 Louis de Broglie-brief node by SpeedFreek
1930 Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman - comprehensive node by Pferdina
1932 Werner Heisenberg - briefly noded by bigmouth_strikes
1933 Paul Dirac - comprehensive node by dido
1933 Erwin Schrodinger - noded by pedro
1935 James Chadwick
1936 Carl David Anderson
1936 Victor Franz Hess
1937 Clinton Davisson- comprehensive node by kthejoker (quest)
1937 George Paget Thomson
1938 Enrico Fermi - brief node by bigmouth_strikes
1939 Ernest Lawrence - brief node by pedro
1943 Otto Stern
1944 Isidor I. Rabi - brief node by GorillaPhysicist
1945 Wolfgang Pauli - brief node by bigmouth_strikes
1946 Percy W. Bridgman
1947 Edward V. Appleton
1948 Patrick Blackett
1949 Hideki Yukawa - noded by pax_music
1950 Cecil Powell
1951 John Cockcroft
1951 Ernest T. S. Walton
1952 Felix Bloch
1952 Edward Mills Purcell- comprehensive node by McCart42 (quest)
1953 Frits Zernike
1954 Max Born - brief node by bigmouth_strikes
1954 Walther Bothe
1955 Willis E. Lamb
1955 Polykarp Kusch
1956 William Shockley
1956 John Bardeen
1956 Walter Brattain
1957 Chen Ning Yang
1957 Tsung-Dao Lee
1958 Pavel Cherenkov- comprehensive node by turkeyphan (quest)
1958 Il´ja M. Frank
1958 Igor Y. Tamm
1959 Emilio Segrè
1960 Donald A. Glaser - brief node by PhysicsChic
1961 Robert Hofstadter
1961 Rudolf Mössbauer
1962 Lev Davidovich Landau
1963 Eugene Wigner
1963 Maria Goeppert Mayer - detailed node by sm597
1963 J. Hans D. Jensen
1964 Charles Hard Townes
1964 Nikolai Gennadiyevich Basov
1964 Alexander Mikhailovich Prokhorov
1965 Sin-Itiro Tomonaga
1965 Julian Seymour Schwinger
1965 Richard P. Feynman - comprehensive node by Wrinkly
1966 Alfred Kastler
1967 Hans Bethe - detailed node by Grzcyrgba
1968 Luis Walter Alvarez
1969 Murray Gell-Mann - brief nodes by a few
1970 Hannes Alfvén
1970 Louis Eugene Neel
1971 Dennis Gabor
1972 John Bardeen
1972 Leon Neil Cooper
1972 John Robert Schreiffer
1973 Leo Esaki
1973 Ivar Giaever
1973 Brian David Josephson
1974 Sir Martin Ryle
1974 Antony Hewish
1975 Aage N. Bohr
1975 Ben Roy Mottelson
1975 Leo James Rainwater
1976 Burton Richter
1976 Samuel C. C. Ting
1977 Philip Warren Anderson
1977 Sir Nevill F. Mott
1977 John H. van Vleck
1978 Pyotr Lenidovich Kapitza
1978 Arno Allan Penzias
1978 Woodrow Wilson - detailed node by kto9
1979 Sheldon Glashow
1979 Abdus Salam
1979 Steven Weinberg - brief node by rosencrantz
1980 James Watson Cronin
1980 Val Logsdon Fitch
1981 Nicolaas Bloembergen
1981 Arthur Leonard Schawlow
1981 Kai M. Siegbahn
1982 Kenneth G. Wilson
1983 Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar - noded by ScottMan
1983 William A. Fowler
1984 Carlo Rubbia
1984 Simon van der Meer
1985 Klaus von Klitzing
1986 Ernst Ruska
1986 Gerd Binnig
1986 Heinrich Rohrer
1987 J. Georg Bednorz
1987 K. Alexander Muller
1988 Leon M. Lederman - detailed node by TheGatekeeper
1988 Melvin Schwartz
1988 Jack Steinberger
1989 Norman F. Ramsey
1989 Hans G. Dehmelt
1989 Wolfgang Paul
1990 Richard Taylor
1990 Jerome I. Friedman
1990 Henry W. Kendall
1991 Pierre-Gilles de Gennes
1992 Georges Charpak
1993 Russell A. Hulse
1993 Joseph H. Taylor, Jr.
1994 Clifford G. Shull
1994 Bertram N. Brockhouse
1995 Martin L. Perl
1995 Frederick Reines
1996 David M. Lee
1996 Douglas D. Osheroff
1996 Robert C. Richardson
1997 Steven Chu
1997 Claude Cohen-Tannoudji
1997 William D. Phillips
1998 Robert B. Laughlin
1998 Horst L. Stormer
1998 Daniel C. Tsui
1999 Gerardus 't Hooft - noded by Halcyon&on
1999 Martinus J.G. Veltman
2000 Zhores I. Alferov
2000 Herbert Kroemer
2000 Jack S. Kilby
2001 Eric A. Cornell
2001 Wolfgang Ketterle
2001 Carl E. Wieman
2002 Raymond Davis
2002 Masatoshi Koshiba
2002 Riccardo Giacconi


Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine

1901 Emil Adolf von Behring - comprehensive node by Apatrix
1902 Ronald Ross
1903 Niels Ryberg Finsen
1904 Ivan Pavlov - brief nodes by a few
1905 Robert Koch - comprehensive node by JediBix783
1906 Camillo Golgi- comprehensive node by DoctorX (quest)
1906 Santiago Ramón y Cajal
1907 Alphonse Laveran
1908 Ilya Mechnikov
1908 Paul Ehrlich
1909 Theodor Kocher
1910 Albrecht Kossel
1911 Allvar Gullstrand
1912 Alexis Carrel
1913 Charles Richet
1914 Robert Bárány
1919 Jules Bordet
1920 August Krogh
1922 Archibald Hill
1922 Otto Meyerhof
1923 Frederick G. Banting - detailed node by melknia
1923 John Macleod
1924 Willem Einthoven
1926 Johannes Fibiger
1927 Julius Wagner-Jauregg
1928 Charles Nicolle
1929 Christiaan Eijkman
1929 Frederick Hopkins
1930 Karl Landsteiner - noded by hesby
1931 Otto Warburg
1932 Sir Charles Scott Sherrington
1932 Edgar Douglas Adrian
1933 Thomas Hunt Morgan - detailed node by Blindwalker
1934 George Whipple
1934 George Minot
1934 William Murphy
1935 Hans Spemann
1936 Sir Henry Dale
1936 Otto Loewi
1937 Albert Szent-Györgyi
1938 Corneille Heymans
1939 Gerhard Domagk
1943 Henrik Dam
1943 Edward Doisy
1944 Joseph Erlanger
1944 Herbert Gasser
1945 Sir Alexander Fleming - comprehensive node by wertperch
1945 Ernst Chain
1945 Sir Howard W. Florey
1946 Hermann Muller
1947 Carl Cori
1947 Gerty Cori
1947 Bernardo Houssay
1948 Paul Müller
1949 Walter Hess
1949 António Egas Moniz
1950 Edward Kendall
1950 Tadeus Reichstein
1950 Philip Hench
1951 Max Theiler
1952 Selman Waksman
1953 Hans Adolph Krebs
1953 Fritz Lipmann
1954 John Enders
1954 Thomas Weller
1954 Frederick Robbins
1955 Hugo Theorell
1956 André Cournand
1956 Werner Forssmann
1956 Dickinson Richards
1957 Daniel Bovet
1958 George W. Beadle
1958 Edward Tatum - detailed node by Betsumei
1958 Joshua Lederberg
1959 Severo Ochoa
1959 Arthur Kornberg
1960 Sir Frank Macfarlane Burnet
1960 Peter Medawar
1961 Georg von Békésy
1962 Francis Crick - brief node by Protector of Mankind
1962 James Watson - noded by Tem42
1963 Sir John Eccles
1963 Alan Hodgkin
1963 Andrew Huxley
1964 Konrad Bloch
1964 Feodor Lynen
1965 François Jacob
1965 André Lwoff
1965 Jacques Monod
1966 Peyton Rous
1966 Charles Huggins
1967 Ragnar Granit
1967 Haldan Hartline
1967 George Wald


Nobel Prize In Literature:

1901 Sully Prudhomme- coomprehensive node by Gamaliel
1902 Theodor Mommsen- comprehensive node by Trina (quest)
1903 Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
1904 Frédéric Mistral
1904 José Echegaray
1905 Henryk Sienkiewicz
1906 Giosuè Carducci
1907 Rudyard Kipling- noded by Jet-poop
1908 Rudolf Eucken
1909 Selma Lagerlöf
1910 Paul Heyse
1911 Maurice Maeterlinck
1912 Gerhart Hauptmann
1913 Rabindranath Tagore- noded by Halcyon&on
1915 Romain Rolland
1916 Verner von Heidenstam
1917 Karl Gjellerup
1917 Henrik Pontoppidan
1919 Carl Spitteler comprehensive node by Fortunado (quest)
1920 Knut Hamsun- noded by Slothrup
1921 Anatole France
1922 Jacinto Benavente
1923 William Butler Yeats - brief nodes by serveral
1924 Wladyslaw Reymont
1925 George Bernard Shaw - comprehensive node by Mortice
1926 Grazia Deledda
1927 Henri Bergson
1928 Sigrid Undset - detailed node by JediBix783
1929 Thomas Mann - comprehensive node by Roninspoon
1930 Sinclair Lewis - comprehensive node by RainDropUp
1931 Erik Karlfeldt
1932 John Galsworthy
1933 Ivan Bunin
1934 Luigi Pirandello - detailed node by Rax
1936 Eugene O'Neill - noded by Pedro
1937 Roger Martin du Gard
1938 Pearl S. Buck - comprehensive node by borgo
1939 Frans Eemil Sillanpää
1944 Johannes V. Jensen - comprehensive node by liveforever
1945 Gabriela Mistral - brief node by Everdove
1946 Hermann Hesse - comprehensive node by Aptrix
1945 André Gide - brief node by L'Homme Tomate
1948 T. S. Eliot - comprehensive node by zophos
1949 William Faulkner - detailed nodes by several
1950 Bertrand Russell - noded by serveral
1951 Pär Lagerkvist
1952 François Mauriac - comprehensive node by Sensei
1953 Winston Churchill - comprehensive node by dabcanboulet
1954 Ernest Hemingway - comprehensive node by Quaisior
1955 Halldór Laxness
1956 Juan Ramón Jiménez


Thanks to:
http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/index.html
for helping me compile this list.


This being my first quest, I would of course appreciate any feedback and suggestions! Thanks.

And finally... shout-outs to all those helping me with this quest:

Rancid_Pickel
Tiefling
Simulacron3
Lennon
wertperch

Thanks you! :)



For historical / reference reasons my orignal quest specs:

From Alfred Nobel's Will:
The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way:

The capital shall be invested by my executors in safe securities and shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work of an idealistic tendency; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity among nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

- http://history1900s.about.com/library/misc/blnobelwill.htm


The Quest:

Nobel Prize winners by definition have benefitted humanity, and thus deserve special treatment here at E2. This E2 quest has been established to encourage the many creative minds here at E2, to write a detailed account of each winner's life and works.

This quest is looking for biographies presenting a detailed account of the life and work of a given Nobel Prize winner. The biographies should be as complete as possible, and those placing a special emphasis on the body of work for which the subject won the award will get C!'d by me.

I think someday all Nobel Prize winners should have comprehensive writeups such as this one done by Wrinkly, Richard P. Feynman. That's the goal of this quest, to put a dent in the number of these important contributors to humanity not yet noded.

That writeup by Wrinkly is a perfect example of what I'd love to see. Perhaps not all can be that comprehensive, but the writeups for this quest should include:
  • The subject's early life, education and formative influences
  • Outstanding achievements, awards and acclamations won by the subject
  • Any awards, or places, or things named after them
  • An assessment of the subject's contribution to the field, and humanity
  • A bibliography of works by or about the winner
wertperch suggests the E2 FAQ: writing a biography for more information.

Sponsor:

Rancid_Pickle has graciously offered to sponsor this quest for me, awarding the XP blessings when the quest is complete. Please do not pester Rancid_Pickle. Direct all questions about this quest to me personally.

Requirements:

Quest Window - all entries must be posted between the timestamp on this node and July 13th, 2003. Please /msg me upon posting your submission, thanks!

Originality - cut and paste nodes will not be accepted. All direct quotes should be quoted and all sources must be cited.
E2 FAQ: How to cite your sources
E2 FAQ: Noding quotes
New Writeups - entries must be new writeups to E2, ones you posted to E2 before the start of this quest do not qualify.

Rewards:

Contributing a worthwhile writeup on E2 is of course its own reward, but up to three (3) writeups per participant may also receive:

Quality writeups will receive a blessing from Rancid_Pickle.

Comprehensive writeups will receive at least one 10 XP blessing and possibly an additional 20 XP blessing from Rancid_Pickle, and a C! from me. (eventually, since I only have one a day - but several noders have agreed to help me by giving some of their own to deserving nodes!)

Comprehensive writeups by level 1 noders, will receive an additonal 10 XP blessing on top of the 10 or 20 XP (plus an upvote and possible Ching from Rancid_Pickle). We want you to get those feet wet!

Blessings will be bestowed within 10 days of the close of the quest.

Oolong requests that anyone writing up a scientist submit a one-line summary of the scientist and their achievements to the scientists index, maintainted by the E2science group.




Reserving a subject:

Writing a detailed biography can take a lot of time, so if you'd like to reserve a particular Nobel Prize winner to help avoid having someone else duplicate your effort - please /msg me with the name and I will post it here.
I intend to maintain this list of reserved nobel prize winners as long as it remains beneficial. Please notify me when you've finished your node or no longer wish to reserve the subject.
Louis Renault - Peace (1907) reserved by AM Nero
Emily Greene Balch - Peace (1946) reserved by momomom
Albert Schweitzer - Peace (1952) reserved by Borgo

Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson - Literature (1903) reserved by Lectrice
Rabindranath Tagore - Literature (1913) reserved by diotina
Bertrand Russell - Literature (1950) reserved by althorrat
Juan Ramón Jiménez - Literature (1956) reserved by Gamaliel
Nadine Gordimer - Literature (1991) reserved by endive
Dario Fo - literature (1997) reserved by Basement Johnny

Stanley Prusiner - Medicine (1997) reserved by eiram
Sir John Sulston - Medicine (2002)reserved by BaronWR

Werner Karl Heisenberg - Physics (1932) reserved by gwenllian
William Shockley - Physics (1956) reserved by wetperch
Sheldon Glashow - Physics (1979) reserved by sneak241
Masatoshi Koshiba - Physics (2002) reserved by Shro0m

Hans Fischer - Chemistry (1930) reserved by QuietLight
Artturi Ilmari Virtanen - Chemistry (1945) reserved by rahmat

Amartya Sen - Economics (1998)reserved by GaudeamusIgitur

(the list of prize winners followed)

See also Nobel Prize, Alfred Nobel and Alfred Nobel's Will.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.